The only way to improve road safety is to give much stricter punishments on driving offenses. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

The guarantee for people’s safety while participating transport is a major topic of concern in today’s society. While I agree that people who are in violation of traffic rules should be punished seriously, I am strongly of the opinion that there are several solutions which can improve the safety of people on the road.

On the one hand, I accept that heavy measures should be introduced to punish people who commit traffic offenses. This is because when the full weight of the law is imposed for all driving offenses severely, people may implement traffic regulations while driving. Hence, this can lead to reduce the number of accident and improve road safety. For instance, in 2015 in Vietnam government enacted the policy that people have to wear helmets while using motorbikes, at the beginning, there were just a few people who obeyed the rules, and the traffic was not improved, then at the end of 2015, this policy was enforced internationally, people who do not wear helmet will driving motorbike have to pay 150.000 per time, since then the number of injure because of traffic accidents decreased by 30% in the following year.

On the other hand, I am firmly believed that there are several ways to improve the safety for people while driving. An effective measure is that government should invest more money in developing infrastructure to improve road safe. The road, for example, should be expanded and divided in separated lanes for each means of transport, it would be easier and more safety for people to join the traffic. Another measure is that Government can encourage people to use public means of transport instead of using other vehicles, this could lead to improve the traffic conditions and road safety.

To conclude, although I accept that severe punishment should be enacted to protect people who participating transport, I am firmly convinced that the safety of people on the road could be enhanced by some other effective ways.

2 Likes

You might be interested to know that the Duke of Edinburgh (97 year old husband of Queen Elizabeth Second) recently drove out of a side road and collided with a car containing two women and a baby. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt but it was th Duke’s fault. He has since handed in his driving licence and is not being prosecuted for dangerous driving!!

2 Likes

I think we can achieve a greater level of road safety by promoting new forms of mobility such as electric mini vehicles and autonomous driving.

1 Like