The mind is never blank - if it were, how would you know?

As of late I have noticed that the vast majority of my thoughts are more or less the same on a daily basis. I wonder what happened if I switched off my mind completely for a certain period of time and then rebooted it similar to a computer. Would I then have different thoughts and ideas and if so, would I be able to notice the difference? After all, the mind is never blank, if it were, how would you know?

1 Like

Hello ) I also had thoughts about similarity of my brain and computer, didnt you notice that travelling, reading watching films reboot it. I ve noticed this and want to be a long life learner like Tatyana Š¢Š°Ń‚ŃŒŃŠ½Š° Š§ŠµŃ€Š½ŠøŠ³Š¾Š²ŃŠŗŠ°Ń Ā«ŠœŠ¾Š·Š³ ŠæŠ¾Ń‚ŠµŃ€ŃŠ»ŃŃ Š² цŠøфрŠ¾Š²Š¾Š¼ Š¼ŠøрŠµĀ» - YouTube

2 Likes

People who are completely and forever insane donā€™t know anything, as their mind were blank. They donā€™t talk but they can laugh and cry without knowing why, is it true? Though, I wonder: do they have any thoughts or maybe they act automatically as a consequence of certain impulses coming from a living but unorganised brain? Even so, their mind is not completely blank.
So I say that if our mind were blank, we wouldnā€™t possibly know it because we would need a basic program to make us realise that the mind is blank.
I got complicated enough and should stop here. Too many words for the fact that a blank mind belongs to a dead body.

I just remembered: my sisterā€™s mind had a reset time while she was in a coma for 3 days, many years ago. The fact is that when she woke up, she could speak immediately, so her mind had not been blank those three days, but she had no idea who we were: our mother, me, her daughter.
It was shocking for us. Luckily, her brain still had the ability to learn and it was like a sponge, so she learned our names and the way in which we were related. Another ability brought her really back within a week: the ability to get things out of a memory which, luckily again, had not been deleted.
So, during a coma, the brain only takes a break, all the liaisons are lost, but the basic program and the memory are still there, capable to redo the old connections and bring us back with all our memories andā€¦ ourselves.
This is like resetting a computer.
Rebootā€¦itā€™s something else and I still think itā€™s possible only in movies.

1 Like

Let me test the link function

https://www.exploremeditation.com/empty-mind-meditation/

I see that Lushen got it right and I was wrong.
It was about the mind cleared of thoughts, not about the brain cleared of everything.
This link really gives the answer to the question. Itā€™s good to know that we can empty our mind whenever we want by switching it off (after learning the technique of course) but I donā€™t think I would try, because who knows? what if I canā€™t switch it back on, although they say it canā€™t happen?

1 Like

TJ, do you really think it is possible to reach ā€˜the state of no thoughtā€™ while you are alive? I really doubt that it. How exactly can you ā€˜think about nothingā€™? I mean, even if your mind was completely blank (which is impossible), how would you know you werenā€™t thinking anything?

Iā€™m not sure - I think when I am asleep and not dreaming, my mind is completely blank. And I know when I had surgery, it seemed like absolutely no time had passed from the time I went under until I regained consciousness. I guess if you were able to make your mind blank, time would appear like that, to have passed in an instant. Sometimes I go into a little daze, then snap out of it and canā€™t remember what I was supposed to be doing. I guess thatā€™s not really ā€œenlightenmentā€ though - ha!

1 Like