The Last Decalogue by Arthur Hugh Clough/ Audio provided

Yesterday, I read, The Last Decalogue by Arrthur Hugh Clough. I wonder how I should pronounce his last name!

3 Likes

I suggest it should rhyme with ‘rough’.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, Alan, I hope my English wasn’t too pretentious. Have you ever read it? Also, I think of you and your family, friends and acquaintances. I hope their well and healthy. In times like these we all should put up a united front to get bring this terrible virus to its knees. I’m thinking of you, although we know very little about each other. I consider your answer as a token of friendship. Therefore, take care, my friend. :heart:

Marc

3 Likes

From what I’ve also heard it’s pronounced like this.
But I was curious if there’s any rule in the English language why it should be pronounced like rough and not like bough, plough, through or lough…?

3 Likes

Your English sounds great to me!
It’d be difficult to tell you apart from British people… :astonished:
But then I’m not a native…

3 Likes

Hi Vivianna,

In my opinion we should have confidence in what Alan suggests. I agree with you and probably Alan has a bit of difficulty with it too, since in earlier times names were written down by officials as there was no standard spelling. I mean you can spell the following as Thomas or Tomas, Anthony which you can pronounce with either the ‘th’ sound or not, except in Thomas you do not pronounce the ‘th’ sound. It only depends on how your parents have you registered at the Town Hall. The same goes for Marc and Mark, why are they spelled with either with a C or K. More examples Chris and Kris. In Dutch Chris can be used for a girl and a boy, wheareas Kris is usually used for a boy. And then there’s the difference in pronunciation of your name in other languages:

2 Likes

Thank you for the compliment. :heart:

2 Likes