The language of suspicion

Hi,

An off duty police officer must sometimes imagine that people round about are doing something that they shouldn’t. Being suspicious is part of the job and probably becomes second nature. But we can’t all be like that, can we?

english-test.net/stories/65/index.html

Alan

Hi Alan,
I’m sorry about this suspicious behaviour:
I’m 53-old and married to an Australian for last 5 years. I have finished all English courses which need any immigrant in Australia but I’m shame to communicate properly because of my ‘broken’ English. I had used my native Bulgarian as university lecturer and now I’m shocked that I can not explain my thoughts…That is the situation…maybe the ego is bi-i-i-i-g.
Alan I read your essays and sometime i checked myself with the quizzes.
Thank you,
Regards Violeta Ingles

Good Evening sir . i want some easy topice for G.D. please sir give me .
One things i want to say to you . can you tell me what should i do? i am student of BA still i could not know what to do ?

hi all;
Kindly can any one answer the following question:
What the difference between will not and won’t???
Thanks in advance
Islam

Will not is formal.
Won’t is the contraction which means exactly the same as ‘will not’. It is informal and shouldn’t be used in exams, essays, etc.

Hi,

‘Won’t’ is the shortened version of ‘will not’ in the same way that ‘shan’t’ is the contracted form of ‘shall not’. These shortened forms would be used mainly in conversation.

Alan

I’m a school teacher from lagos Nigeria. how best can teach the parts of speech to secondary school students

Dear Alan,
It was really an interesting essay about “The language of suspicion”.
Many thanks for that, buddy!

Regards,

Cesar Lopez Petrovich.

Hi dear Alan!
Such a great essay! I wonder how you write them so interesting?

Best regards!

First of all I thank to you, because I lot of thing studied so may thing this web site I thanks to you how ever you posted lot e-mail

From english essay 52, language of suspicion, Mr Alan Townend wrote:
1.’‘Excuses however genuine they may in fact be are occasionally a bit hard to swallow or sound rather far-fetched:…’’

shouldn’t be only: be in above text?

1. ‘‘for close on two thousand years’’ - what does ,on’’ mean in it?
    Thank you.

I have already understood: excuses–>are, please reply to point 2. thanks.

Hi Saneta,

‘Close on’ means ‘almost’.

Alan

The language of suspicion is an excellent and informative essay, thanks Mr. Alan.

regards
CM

Thanks Alan Townend

Sir

Why they call only doubting Thomas?Is there any particular reason for that?Kindly explain

Chitra

Hi Alan,
got a question:
John’s rude behavior struck me as surprising=I was/got surprised of John’s rude behavior?

Hello Chitra,

Thomas was one of the disciples of Jesus. According to the Holy Bible, when Jesus conquered death and appeared to some of the other disciples, Thomas would not believe their story. He did not believe until he saw it for himself.

This is the likely origin of the term ‘doubting Thomas’… someone who will not believe something until he sees it with his own eyes.

Hi Predator.

I was surprised by John’s rude behaviour (because he is normally very well-mannered).

Thanks!