The Language of Sarcasm

Hi,

They say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Well, maybe but there are times when you want to add a nasty edge to a comment or a reply. Here are some examples of how we do it:

english-test.net/stories/70/index.html

Alan

1 Like

I think friendly sarcasms or self-sarcasms are acceptable. Since sarcasm doesn’t help solve the problems, what’s more, it perhaps make things worse. Sarcasm itself may not be a form of wit, but the ability to make a “proper” sarcasm at the right time and the right place is definitely a golden skill.

1 Like

Hello Alan!

Very nice essay and useful!

No,you weren’t sarcastic at all.

I liked it very much!

Regards,

Angelina

Hi Alan!

Thanks a bunch (as Americans would say) for your essay. It is really useful, and in fact I didn’t know more than a half of these expressions. Actually, I am from Kazakhstan and pursue my Master’s degree in the US. I have noticed that usually people in the United States don’t use sarcasm in there conversations. I guess they’re more straight in talking; sometimes when I try to joke around they reply with childish tone - Man, what are you talkin’ about? :slight_smile:

Hi Rashid,

Thanks for your comments. It is certainly interesting to note what you say about the fact that Americans don’t go in for sarcasm in their conversations. I wonder if you could develop that point and give some more examples of what you mean. I would very much appreciate it if you could spare the time.

Best wishes,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Your essay was useful cause i didnt know about all these sarcasms before.
Thank you.

Well Alan speaking as probably the best looking member on the forum can I just add I don’t like the way a lot of people don’t take themselves seriously enough - Which is another reason I don’t like sarcasm on the Forum, - I mean there’s bound to be other people on the forum nearly as smart and humble as me who know pretty much what’s going on if you get what I mean - But unfortunately some of them still don’t realize how perfect I am… do you think you could just tell them for me please Alan. :slight_smile:

How annoying was that? - (on a richter scale of 10) :slight_smile:

Hi Alan,
Thanks for a fascinating essay. Sarcasm is an interesting phenomena of language and generally I like the idea of being witty and standout. The thing is that sometimes we can’t afford to be sarcastic becuause of certain life circumstances. For instance teachers probably souldn’t be sarcastic with students (my teacher of English was, tough). Nevertheless it always brings back many good memories. Sarcasm may cause slight misunderstandings, but it depends on a person whether he will be offended or not.

Hello sir Alan,

As always, your essay is a very helpful and informative. I can’t stop saying thank you.

Once Oscar Wilde wrote in his brilliant novel: “Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world’s original sin. If the cavemen had know how to laugh, History would have been different”.
And really, we have to be sarcastic when people take themselves too seriously at times. Perhaps, the most important thing about sarcasm is don’t carry to far and don’t be rude to other people. If people have good sence of humour they can laugh at themselves with you. And I believe that when we laugh at ourselves we become better and wiser.
But again, too much water drowned the miller.

Best wishes.
George.

The sarcasm can solve the conflict situations temporally. Your expressions indicate the daily problems. They show the dialog inconsistency , the distrust of people’s facts, about the groundless reasons , about the unjustified attacks, about the not seriousness, about the indifference of the people, about the inanimate situation , the non-observance of friends, about uninvited guests , about the dissatisfaction. All of this frames have in back one story. What are the stories of the following expressions: “You won’t stand a snowball’s chance in hell” and “And a at lot of good that‘ll do go’?
Thanks you very much!
Mike

hi

hi
alan your essay is so good that made me feel happy to read what you have written ,you are the one ,you make others follow you to tastify english language.Here in lraq when the people
used sarcasm they are changed their voices to show sarcasm .
many thanks
afef

Allan!

Reading your essays is always a pleasure, a nice way to become acquainted with the subtle aspects of English and the way it is used in real life, as well. Another point to consider is that they give us the opportunity to compare languages and discover similarities. Customs can be different but feelings are the same wherever we live, no matter what language we speak. We are all human beings.

Thank you

FlĂĄvia.

yes this essays was very good.thank you

Dear Alan:
Your fruilful essays keep me reading and reading. I’ve learn a lot from them. Thank you very much and best wishes to you.

thanks sir your learning english very good for me iam improve tooomuch thank you very much best regards varedh john

Hi
in Mexico is very common to speak with sarcasm, in office , school and friends.
unforgiven really…
I remember in school when someone came with hair not brushed the teacher said "did you bring the sheets?
I don´t know if in english is the same that in spanish, but is funny both. even though not always is funny.
thanks regards
arigirl

oh! yes, I’m having a lovely time reading this topic…
I’m telling the true I’m really enjoying thank you so much.

When a person tell us something,that we don´t believe we use…Don´t tell me more.

When we achieve a goal we say to our friend …¨There is no time to cry my friend¨

well, i just want to thank u for all the information you provide to us, i am very satisfied by all the lessons you post to us. Bunch of thanks.