The important qualities of a good roommate

Would you mind helping me correct the essay about the topic below? Thank you very much.

Topic: Many students have to live with roommates while going to school or university. What are some of the important qualities of a good roommate? Use specific reasons and examples to explain why these qualities are important.

In our life, it is the one of the most important issue that where you stay and whom you stay with. If you decided to stay in a hostel, possibly, you would have no chance to choose your roommate. However, mutual life is different from living alone and it is much better to choose your roommate. There are several factors to shape student’s mutual life. Additionally, in my opinion there are several qualities to be a good roommate. I would like to mention some of the prominent ones.

First and foremost, respect is the most important qualities of a good roommate. Your roommate will inevitably have access to many of your belongings. Rooming with someone you don’t feel will care for your things can be stressful, and living with someone you think might steal from you is even worse. You may have differing opinions on what it means to borrow carefully or to respect the others’ time and space. Work out what sort of borrowing and privacy arrangements you’re comfortable with before moving in together.

Secondly, a good roommate is a person does not have bad habit or addiction such as smoking or drinking. Smoking will pollute the indoor air and contaminate clothes and bedding. With a smoker in the same apartment, you cannot breathe health air and have a good rest, let alone concentrating on studying. Even worse, you may become a victim of passive smoking. In a word, a roommate`s bad habit can seriously impact your life and studying.

Thirdly, cleanliness is the quality of a good roommate. In other words, you need to have general consideration for each other’s space. A good rule of thumb is to talk about what kind of messes stress each other out and figure out a way to compromise. This doesn’t necessarily mean you need to make your bed every single day, but do learn what cleaning habits bring peace to your roommate’s life and do them joyfully.

To sum up briefly, as long as you enjoy your dormitory life, get well with your friends, so you should be a good roommate. Whatever what you experiences, those of them will be a beautiful memorial of your rest of life.

2 Likes

Hi Phuong Du, I thought your essay was pretty good. You have addressed the prompt correctly.
Your observations are relevant, but I think adding some more specific examples would have been a good addition. Your writing is fairly clear, but some of your sentences were vague or awkward. Here are some additional suggestions:

3 Likes

Hi @PhuongDu, do you know what we call a person who shares a flat or apartment with another person? I mean, a roommate usually shares a room with another person. What if each of the people have their own room?

1 Like

Torsten, one option is “housemate”, but to be honest, when I hear “roommate”, I don’t assume they share a single room At least here in the US, “roommate” is the general term for people who share an apartment or house.

2 Likes

I think my German way of thinking gets in the way here :slight_smile:

2 Likes