... the face of this congregation

Original text

Priest: Dear fellows, we’ve gathered here in the sake of God, with the face of this congregation, trying to get this man and woman a holy matrimony.

What does he really say?

Thank you

Video link: (~16 seconds)

1 Like

Priest: Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, in the face of this congregation, to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony.

It sounds very much like he is saying “in the face of this congregation…”, but I’ve never heard this phrase before. Perhaps it’s “in the place of this congregation”

Everything else is pretty standard.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Arinker :rose:

Very nice explanation.

I have another question:

What does “in the face of” mean?

2 Likes

With a little research I found the standard Anglican wedding service from 1662: This traditional text is still used.

“DEARLY beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God, and in the face of this Congregation, to join together this man and this woman in holy Matrimony; “

It apparently means with the congregation watching. The couple is exchanging their vows before a large group of people who witness the event.

This is traditional speech that you probably wouldn’t want to copy unless you’re talking to someone from the 17th century.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Arinker :rose:

Very nice.

2 Likes

BTW, the more common usage would be “in the face of stiff opposition he was able to succeed.” That is, he was facing a real challenge.

2 Likes

Are these phrases in bold really being used?
The sentence, on the whole, does not sound intelligible to me.

2 Likes

Yes. It’s a standard preamble before the actual wedding vows in the US. I don’t know how widespread it is in other places. I have not heard “in the face of this congregation” used before, but the rest is an exact quote. It’s not used in all weddings, but it’s extremely common.

https://prescottministry.com/wedding-vows/dearly-beloved/

3 Likes

People like tradition.

1 Like