The extended family is less important now than it was in the past

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
The extended family (grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles) is less important now than it was in the past.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

There is a heated debate concerning the importance of extended family in the modern society. While some people believe that the extended family plays a similar goal in the modern society, detractors disagree with that viewpoint, saying that the extended family is indeed less important now than it was in the past. In my opinion, I concur with the latter for two primary reasons.
First of all, there are many signs in a modern family revealing the change in the extended family’s role. For example, children today cannot memorize even the names of their cousins, aunts and uncles. In some cases, it is not even feasible for them to recognize the existence of their relatives. One cannot simply tell how many distant sisters and brothers he has. Moreover, the New Year Eve and Christmas used to be the time in which we celebrate parties with other members of our extended family. In contrast, Christmas parties nowadays are held individually by different branch of a household. Sending a postcard or a present to other parts of the family is simply a gesture that reminds people of their extended family.
Secondly, the tribulations of the modern life well explains why the extended family today plays a less important role than they used to in the past. To put it simply, people have to work for their living for five days of the weeks. In some countries, people only have five or six hours a day to rest since they have to work sixteen hours a day for seven days in a week. Therefore, it is almost impossible for people to have new relationships or maintain their connection to their extended family. My discussion with an accounting manager in Singapore is solid evidence for this argument. A year ago, I had the opportunity to talk with a woman who worked 15 years for a global enterprise as an accounting manager. She frankly admitted that she only had eight hours a day to sleep and other activities. The rest of the day is spent in workplaces. Moreover, she said that she had not think for a moment in her life up until now about getting married or going out for a date. The only person she only kept in touch with was her mother.
Some people may argue that people today are still deferential to their extended family. Although I share a mutual agreement that people still look up to their extended family and their extended family still plays a role in their lives, the importance of their family is not as significant as it was in the past. During the Chinese New Year, my family still pays a visit to other members of our extended family. However, it is regarded as a tradition to remind us of the importance of the extended family. Each member of our family has their own voice in their businesses. We hardly take part in other business as well as take advices from the other extended family members. My family’s decision is primarily independent of those made by other extended family members.
Taking into account the problems of modern society and a variety of signs in a modern family, I argue that the extended family is now playing a less significant role than they did in the past.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the student visit the registrar’s office?

1 Like
1 Like

Hi Quang, I didn’t think this essay was as strong as some of your other recent ones. Please see my comments below.

The extended family (grandparents, cousins, aunts, and uncles) is less important now than it was in the past.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.[/b]

There is a heated debate concerning the importance of extended family in the modern society. While some people believe that the extended family plays a similar goal in the modern society, detractors disagree with that viewpoint, saying that the extended family is indeed less important now than it was in the past. In my opinion, I concur with the latter for two primary reasons. {this introduction seems very “boilerplate” - it would be nice to read something a bit more creative}
First of all, there are many signs in a modern family revealing the change in the extended family’s role. For example, children today cannot [even] memorize even the names of their cousins, aunts and uncles. In some cases, it is not even feasible for them to recognize the existence of their relatives. {this sentence sounds a bit odd} One cannot simply tell how many distant sisters and brothers he has. {this is unclear - what do you mean by “distant sisters and brothers”? Maybe half-sisters from a parent’s previous marriage?} Moreover, the New Year['s] Eve and Christmas used to be the time in which we celebrate parties with other members of our extended family. In contrast, Christmas parties nowadays are held individually by different branch[es] {“branches” sounds odd in this context} of a household. Sending a postcard or a present to other parts of the family {likewise “parts of the family” sounds unnatural here} is simply a gesture that reminds people of their extended family.
Secondly, the tribulations of the modern life well explai[n ] why the extended family today plays a less important role than [it] used to in the past. To put it simply, people have to work for their living for five days of the wee[k ].{hasn’t this always been true? or in the more distant past they had to work 6 days a week} In some countries, people only have five or six hours a day to rest since they have to work sixteen hours a day for seven days in a week. Therefore, it is almost impossible for people to have[make] new relationships or maintain their connection to their extended family. My discussion with an accounting manager in Singapore is solid evidence for this argument. A year ago, I had the opportunity to talk with a woman who worked 15 years for a global enterprise as an accounting manager. She frankly admitted that she only had eight hours a day to sleep and [do] other activities. The rest of the day [wa]s spent in workplaces. Moreover, she said that she had not think [thought] for a moment in her life up until now about getting married or going out for a date. The only person she only kept in touch with was her mother. {this example doesn’t really tie back to the prompt, which explicitly asks about grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles - this would be an example for why people marry later these days or often not at all}
Some people may argue that people today are still deferential to their extended family. Although I share a mutual agreement that people still look up to their extended family and their extended family still plays a role in their lives, the importance of their family is not as significant as it was in the past. During the Chinese New Year, my family still pays a visit to other members of our extended family. However, it is regarded as a tradition to remind us of the importance of the extended family. Each member of our family has their own voice in their businesses. {this last phrase is a bit unclear to me} We hardly take part in other business as well as [nor] take advic[e ] from the other extended family members. My family’s decision[s are] is primarily independent of those made by other extended family members. {this whole example is a little fuzzy to me. Are you saying in the past everybody would work for a family business. The problem is “business” could mean an actual company, or it can mean your private life - as in “mind your own business” or “I don’t have to tell you, that’s my own business” Also, I thought you would say that even though you may see your extended family on New Year’s Day, that is still one day and the rest of the year is spent only with our immediate family}
Taking into account the problems of modern society and a variety of signs in a modern family, I argue that the extended family is now playing a less significant role than [it] did in the past.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the student visit the registrar’s office?
[/quote]

1 Like

extended family is an integral part of our lives nowadays, as opposed to the past. It was less prevalent in the past to build strong relationships with cousins, grandparents and uncles while in recent years communicating with them is vital for humankind.

First rational to champion my standpoint pertains to the inherent ambition of humankind. All people need to fulfil their innate ambition for socializing with family members, worker flows or friends. However, not all individuals out of family zone are reliable; therefore, it is essential to build and sustain relationships with family members rather than to find new friends. In the past families were more crowded than what it is right now. For instance, my father had 6 siblings; Thus, it was not necessary to create close bond with extended family. In contrast to that, I have 1 sibling so I have to make relationship with my cousins and uncles in order to compensate for less crowded family. Consequently, today it is more important to communicate with extended family compared to the past.

Another aspect which signifies the importance of extended family is about how making connections has become more convenient than pas decades. Advent of smartphones and internet network has facilitated interacting with other people who are far away from us. For instance, 50 years ago an individual who was living in a rural remote area had not any information about his friends or extended family in another village or in a city. On the contrary, these days it is feasible to make video calls with our beloved ones from long distances. Therefore, people are more aware of each other and can build and strengthen their relationships easily.

It is fair to conclude that extended family has become much more important these days. Both less crowded families with 1 or 2 children and convenience of interacting are potent reasons for supporting that viewpoint.

1 Like