The expression “Never, never give up” means to keep trying and never stop working for your goals. Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

I tend to have a mixed opinion about the expression, “never, never give up”. It is good to be determined and ready to do as best as one can, however for some circumstances, it simply does no good to cling on to something for long, especially if its taking all the efforts but producing no fruit at all.
One must decide, what task is worth what amount of effort and time. For something resulting in no significant outcome, it is better to give up and focus the energies on something else. Setting a goal and working hard to achieve it, makes life meaningful. But also, putting all hard work into something that simply is not worth it, takes away all happiness and just leave regrets in the end. A sound judgement is required for setting up a goal, based on circumstnces and feasibility. Never giving up on a practically infeasible task or something that has no major benefits eventually, would be a negative determination. For instance, If I focus all my energies to scoring a top grade in a subject I am not very fond of or is any useful to my future career plans, I would miss out working upon subjects or skills that are not part of my curriculum, but are useful in future prospects. I have had a personal experince with this. Back in college I got so much focused and determined to score top grades academically that I missed out learning useful technologies and skills which was going to help a lot later in professional career.
I my opinion, it all narrows down to careful thinking and patience. Sometimes it is required to give up on something for a time and work hard for it later, when circumstances seems preferable. Puttting efforts in right thing and at right time would what I will call as positive determination and right interpretation of never, never give up.

2 Likes

I have an ambivalent opinion about the expression “never, never give up”. It’s good to be determined and willing to do your best, but in certain circumstances it’s just not good to hold on to something for long, especially if it takes all your effort but doesn’t bear fruit.
You have to decide which task is worth what amount of time and effort. If something does not lead to any significant result, it is better to give up and focus your energy on something else. Setting a goal and working hard to achieve it makes life meaningful. But also putting the hard work into something that just isn’t worth it takes away happiness and leaves you with only regret in the end. Sound judgment is required when setting a goal, based on circumstances and feasibility. Never giving up on a task that is practically unfeasible or something that will not ultimately bring much benefit would be a negative decision. For example, if I put all my energy into getting a top grade in a subject that I don’t particularly like or that is not beneficial to my future career plans, I would be failing to address subjects or skills that are not part of my curriculum but are beneficial to my future prospects. I have had a personal experience with this. During my studies, I was so focused and determined to get top academic grades that I missed learning useful technologies and skills that would greatly help me later in my career.
In my opinion, it all boils down to careful thought and patience. Sometimes you have to go without something for a while and work hard for it later when circumstances seem more favorable. Striving for the right thing at the right time is what I would call positive determination and the right interpretation of “never, never give up.”

1 Like