The big black figure yellow face of the of the man found in the garden...

The big black figure yellow face of the of the man found in the garden confronted them essentially unchanged

What are the subject and verb of this sentence?

The subject is face, the verb is confronted.

The list of adjectives describing ‘face’ is rather confusing. Black-figure should be considered one adjective, along with big and yellow, all modifying face.

Is this actually how the sentence was written? If so, the author didn’t do the best job of constructing the sentence.

The author is G.K. CHESTERTON

Should it have been like “was essentially unchanged” ?

No, that wouldn’t work grammatically. However, the basic meaning there is “the face confronted them and the face was unchanged”.

I agree with Skrej that the list of adjectives is very confusing. It might be easier to understand with additional context.

No, that’s the part of the sentence I agree with. :slight_smile:

As Yankee pointed out, the problem is with the first half of the sentence, and the confusing string of adjectives.

Could it be: “The big black figure and yellow face of the man found in the garden confronted them essentially unchanged.”

MrP

what is “unchanged” here ?

To me the word “unchanged” is used as an adjective in the sentence. It means that “the face was the same as before/the face had not changed”.