The adjective "STORMY" AND omitting words

Hello, How is it going?. I hope you feel fine.
Thanks in advance! I think English
looks clearer every day. Thanks to you!

My questions:

1.- “Stormy Love”. Can I use “Stormy” to mean
the relationship is full of quarrelings, shouts…
even abuse… ? Is there another adjective
in English to mean that?

2.- “I thought it was fantastic, “it was” the best
thing he had ever done, and
“I” congratulated him”.

Can I omit the second “It was” and
the personal pronoun “I”?

Thanks indeed!

Have a marvelous Sunday!

Hi Jesus

1. Yes, you can talk about a “stormy relationship” or maybe a “stormy love affair” meaning a relationship full of quarreling, shouting, and abuse. But, if the abuse is very severe, then the word “stormy” might be too mild.
    You can also talk about a “love-hate relationship”, but this type of relationship is not necessarily only between lovers.

2. You could possibly omit the second “it was”, but the second “I” has to remain in the sentence.

Amy

Hi Jesus1,

You asked:

Yes, stormy means exactly that. You could also say tempestuous and ‘weather’ expressions are often used in relationships. Take a whirlwind romance suggesting a romantic affair that happens very quickly.

In you second question, you could just say: I thought it was fantastic - the best thing he had ever done but then as you change to another subject (not it) you would have to say: and I congratulated him so that it’s clear I is the subject and not it

Alan

Hi! First of all, thanks a lot for your replies.

There?s something I don?t really understand.

We can talk about a stormy relationship, a stormy
love affair, but not about “A stormy love”,
why?
Why not, for instance, “A traumatic love”?
Why is it always used with relationship or love affair?

Thanks in advance!

Have a nice day!

Jes?s

Hi Jesus

I guess you could call it ‘a love’, but it’s not as typical as romance, relationship, love affair, etc. And sometimes the word ‘love’ refers to only HALF of the relationship or one person:

He was the love of my life.

A “traumatic love” ? That’s original. :smiley: But I think “traumatic” might be too extreme/negative. So, it would depend on the exact nature of the relationship you want to describe.

Amy

[quote=“Jesus1”]
Hi! First of all, thanks a lot for your replies.

There?s something I don?t really understand.

We can talk about a stormy relationship, a stormy
love affair, but not about “A stormy love”,
why?
Why not, for instance, “A traumatic love”?
Why is it always used with relationship or love affair?

I think we say “stormy relationship” or “stormy love affair” because we are describing the relationship. If you say “love”, it could mean the feeling you have for someone and not the relationship you have with her.

]