than myself/herself

Is the use of reflexive form correct in the following sentences?

[i]1. He is only five years and two months older than myself.

1. A man who was nearly fifteen years younger than herself.[/i]

I think, I would have, in the case of the first sentence, said, I (am)” (if I wanted to sound ultra formal), or just me. Similarly, in the second sentence, I would have substituted “[b]she /b or her for “herself”.

Do you think I am right?

Hi,

I would use I am/she is but I believe all three versions are correct.

1. He is only five years and two months older than myself/I am/me.

2. A man who was nearly fifteen years younger than herself/she is/her.

I am not a native speaker of English, though.

Hi
Base on what I have learnt, I wouldn’t use reflexive pronouns in your examples. ( I am not sure 100% my answer is correct, I hope one of our teachers leaves a comment)

Unless I really wanted to focus on what I was saying/writing, I’d probably use ‘me’ for the first and ‘she is’ for the second.

Hi Beeesneees,

May I ask what you meant by that? I am not sure I understand the part that I have underlined. Is it that ‘‘me’’ and ‘‘she is’’ are the choices that come to your mind most naturaly/without giving it too much thought?

Is it wrong to use the reflexive forms this way, then? I am pretty sure I have heard native speakers use them similarly.

Thanks

“Than” acts as a preposition in such as “than me” whereas as a conjunction in such as “than I” and “then I am”. “Myself” is used for emphasizing “me”. They are all correct grammatically and all ready to be called into a comfortable context.

Your understanding of the underlined part seems to be spot on, Cristina, yes.
I don’t think use of the reflexive forms is wrong - they just wouldn’t be my first instinct when speaking/writing informally.

Thank you Beeesneees,

I am glad to find out that my understanding of your explanation was right and that my memory has not failed me with regard to the use of the reflexive forms.

:slight_smile:

Thank you Beeesneees