Technologies create problems 2

Hello,

I’ve written one more essay, this time I used the model test example, and changed my strategy.

I made an outline (5 min), then I wrote an intro (4 min), then I wrote the 1st and 3d (!) paragraph first, finishing by writing the 2nd paragraph. This allowed me to be sure that I can focus on both sides and provide graders with more sophisticated point of view. I did not have time for conclusion though.

“As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.”

Throughout recorded history, people have constantly been using technologies of various kinds. These technologies certainly provide people with solutions for issues faced by humanity, yet they also inadvertently and inevitably create new problems, challenging people in various realms of their activity. Although such problems exist no matter which time period we consider, it is undeniable that it is technology, as a whole, that allows people to educate themselves about various phenomena and fosters them to focus on cognitively demanding tasks in different fields.

First, let us consider the most recent technology, that is computers and automatons. This technology enabled people to make industrial as well as business processes more efficient, and less time consuming. This, in turn, freed people from engaging themselves in tedious and laborious tasks, allowing them to focus on more demanding, in terms of intellectual endeavours, and complex tasks that require assiduous study and sophisticated skill sets. On a personal note, being an industrial engineer, I face various issues related to optimizing spatial and time constraints in order for products to be dispatched on time. I can focus on reasoning and planning only because more mundane tasks are assigned to automatons, and most of manufacturing is automated; otherwise, it will not be possible.

What is more, technologies open new frontiers to people allowing them to develop themselves even further. Take for instance mobile applications that allow them to monitor their progress in educational and training pursuits, or mobile apps that enable them to control their health and adjust their diets according to the data they collect over a period of time. Indeed, technologies ignite in them the feelings and thoughts that anything can be achieved with proper coordination, motivating them further to advance and set new goals for their development to become a well-rounded individual with superior performance and results.

One might reasonably argue that there are numerous examples where technology seems to deteriorate human abilities. Take for instance teenagers who are overwhelmed and engrossed with their smartphones, taking selfies, chatting about minor, often so simple, matters with people alike. Yet we should realize that apart from those minor groups of people who have not yet faced the challenges associated with survival in the world of adults, technologies do spark in people the great intellectual pursuits. For example, many people who are engaged in robotics or programming are those who are required to transcend their context and, what is more, technologies, as a whole, to design new ways of solving tasks, again, by means of novel technologies. It is those people who have to exert intellectual power that supersedes the current technologies. As we see in many realms of human excellence, this process will never stop, based on the historical records.

Hi Trololo, I think this essay is an improvement, but I still feel you could focus more directly on the prompt.

Thomas,

I got your point. Now it is totally clear to me how to extend a rebuttle. Besides, I will pay closer attention to topic sentences to make sure they address the task and are tied to my thesis. Yea, and a thesis should have been stronger. I’ll work on that.