Technischer Sachbearbeiter in English?

Imagine you had to apply on a job that is about calculating, negotiating on and promoting after sales services for technical plants. The job offer is written in your mother language but a good command of the english language is requested.
Well you are keen on succeeding with your application, want to prove your skills and think of writing your application in english. In German the job is named “technischer Sachbearbeiter” but I wonder what the english term would be correct.
Can anyone help out with a solution?

1 Like

hmmmm… how about: “after sales support clerk”

1 Like

Hi Michael, what I have noticed when reading CV’s or résumés in English is that English speakers have a tendency to describer their skills with actions and results rather than job titles as we are used in Germany. So, instead of trying to find an English translation of ‘technischer Sachbearbeiter’ you might write something along the lines of ‘I have worked in technical support’ or "providing technical assistance and support to corporate clients’, etc. What do you think?

2 Likes

How about Technical Adviser or Consultant

2 Likes

I like ‘technical adviser/advisor’ and ‘technical consultant’ much more than ‘clerk’ which is a rather old fashioned term.

2 Likes

Hi Torsten. You have a point there. Though as you know, in germany every child needs a name and the title of the job offer is given by the job-provider. Originally it is: “technischer Sachbearbeiter (after sales service)” :weary:
As application letters always need a subject line it is a common usage to start like:

“application for the job as >bla bla bla<”.

Dear recruiter,

Of course the CV or résumé and even the letter of application gives a lot of options to desribe what skills and experience the appilicant has at his/her command. But you are right with your other reply: clerk reads a bit old fashioned. That was what I was wonderring.

1 Like

Yes, some of our job titles and positions are pretty awkward bordering on grotesque like the Hauptgruppensprechergespräch

1 Like

Hello Natalia, thanks for your good advice. I think Advisor met the task the best.

lol as Torsten wrote, us germans have the tendency to give everything a name rather than pragamatically describe.

What would you think about after sales service manager?

2 Likes

How about ‘technical associate’?

2 Likes

That’s what I like the German language for: you have a specific word, term or phrase for everything and anything :nerd_face:
I think “After sales service manager” is too long, I haven’t ever heard something like this before. It might be more German than English))

But English and German are not my native languages so might not the best advisor))

2 Likes

So what is ‘Technischer Sachbearbeiter’ in Russian?

1 Like

Natalia, you might be right saying “after sales service manager” was more german than english.
Anyway you and Torsten helped me a lot. Thanks for the support managing. :slight_smile:

Maybe it were better to refer to the code number given by the employer. :smiley:

1 Like