Teaching English the Irish Way! :-)

Hello everyone.
My name is Ian Spring and I would like to Introduce myself to the other trainers here on the forum.
As my account name might indicate, I am in fact a Irish man. And proud of it ! :slight_smile:

And as you will read in future treads by me and other forum members, I will be doing English lessons here in beautiful Germany.

In this tread I would love to discuss the idea " Why would the Irish be good for teaching English" in Germany !

I’m thinking about, the mentality of the two nations, the history of both countries, the common understanding of the human mentality, all these things and more.

I hope many of you join me and we can construct a very fascinate Tread for all to enjoy.

Thank you and good night.
Ian :slight_smile:

Hi Ian,
I am Scott Graham, ‘An English-man in Leipzig’ (some say ‘crazy’ English-man in LE). I would like to welcome you to the team and forum, teaching English here in Germany can be very rewarding. On the whole the groups we work with are very dynamic and motivated, always willing to learn the language as well as the culture whether English, Irish or American. So I wish you the best of luck and a lot of fun (which I have everyday) and I hope to meet you soon.
Regards
Scott

Hello Scott.
Thank you very much for your welcome.
I am really happy to be doing this teaching and also working with these students.
I find it very interesting and rewarding to work with German students.
Teaching them good English, but also different cultures, history and national characteristics, as you mentioned.
I think myself when Germans can learn from a native speaker that is passionate about there language and there history, then the students are much more interested and eager to learn.
I have one great example, a good friend of mine from Frankfurt was quite lucky and had a native Scottish man for 4 years teaching him English.
After that, my friend could speak beautiful English with a little Scottish accent.

So all things are possible with the right teacher. :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed.

So thanks again Scott and I’m sure we will meet up sooner than later !
Until then.

Thanks and best wishes.
Ian :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi there Guys
Sorry ? Mind if I but-in ?
Guess Im the new kid on block here. My names James and I hail from Bangor in Northern Ireland but I’ve traveled a fair bit with work etc(I’m a builder)
What a small world it is we’re living in.It seems to me the older you get the smaller it seems to get.

Well Scott I lived in Leipzig in the Early/Mid 90’s - In fact perhaps we’ve met?? Do they still do that “Eat as much as you like” - Breakfast buffet at the Movenpick at the corner of the square.- it was pretty unbelievable erm? sorry! those were the days!

• Ian I also worked in Galway - I helped run a job(Block of flats and a Hostel)behind “Roches” - near Eyre Square) - At the time I shared a house with a French Guy in Knocknacarra - Bit of a melting pot Galway don’t you think?

Maybe you have both been to Bangor?? hehe!! somehow I doubt it…

But can I ask what the economic situation is like in Leipzig or in Germany generally ?

Scott - Maybe you have some thoughts on the subject?

Hi Ian,

Germany has many benefits beyond a highliving standard.
I think the Irish would be good for two reasons:

one the accent is a challenge to Germans and proves to them that they need to listen well, as much as speak.
except, and second, that the “th” often sounds more like a t in Irish, tirty tree ya tinker etc ; )
“th” causes so many issues with Germans for pronunciation as does v, w and b, p in Saxony.

I am in the same fair city as Scott, although thus far we have not met, despite my involvement in an ex-pat/english learners,speakers club “So Social Club”, innit Scott.

If I can share my tuppence to James.
The economic situation in LE is not as dire as Ireland, was in Dublin recently and there are many stalls projects it seems, especially construction. As I was there to assist German builders finding projects. And to no avail.

We do have two stalled, over-ambitious construction projects in the “tunnel” and the new Uni, but as we all know the public sector is slow in this field .

The corporate market in my field of language provision has waned since the boom, especially for training Biz English and translation.
But many opportunities in higher and further ed, as well as EU funded projects.

This year has been one of my best so far, from development and economically.

Not sure about Scott?

A person who has options and flexibility can take advantage of new ventures as always.

LE has developed so much since my arrival 8 years ago, the business boom and the new breaching international flavour.

Although I ain´t exotic anymore LOL

cheers stew.t.

I like Irish teachers they have a lovely accent

I am sorry for jumping into the conversation ( but-in means the same? ) , but I would like to know how those lessons work? Are they only for Germans, and are they online or what. Thanks in advance.