'take it easy' versus 'don’t hurry'

Hi

Can take it easy be used in the meaning ‘don’t hurry’? Like take it slow.
?

Hi Tamara,

Take it easy really means relax/put your feet up. Take it slowly would refer to a particular task. You would say that to someone who was operating a machine too quickly or trying to pronounce a foreign word.

Alan

Hi Tamara

I’d understand “Take it easy.” (as a command) to possibly have the additional meaning of “Calm down.” (which would also be relaxing in a certain sense).

But I can also imagine it being used in the sense of “slow down”. For example, if you’re at a party and you’ve been drinking heavily all evening, someone might eventually say to you “Hey, Tamara, take it easy on the booze!” In other words, the person is urging you to reduce or “slow down” your rate of alcohol consumption.

Amy

Hi Alan

I know the general use.
But with what I came across was something like “The road is serpentine, take it easy.” saying to caution.
In the meaning ‘take it slow’ (be care, don’t hurry, don’t gather speed) – if I understood it right. And if it was used correct :slight_smile:

(By the way, ‘take it easy’ can also mean 'bye-bye and take care :slight_smile: )

Hi Amy
Thank you :slight_smile: In my language we say something the like in this (imaginary ;)) situation. ‘Hey! Ease up!’ :slight_smile:

Hi Tamara

You could also understand the road sign meaning as “Please relax your foot on the gas pedal” or “Ease your foot up on the gas pedal”. The result would then be that the car could slow down. :lol: :wink:

To ease up on something means to “reduce the intensity or pressure on/of something”, for example.

I also know “Take it easy” as an informal way of saying goodbye.

Take it easy :lol:
Amy

Hi Tamara,

Here is some information.

Take it easy = Take things easy.

Ex: I like to take things/it easy when I’m on holiday. :smiley:

Khanh