syllable division

hello evrybody
I have an other probleme about the syllable division …realy I don’t know how split any word in syllable
help me please :frowning:

Hello Karim,

Which word do you want to split into syllables? There are many English words that consist of just one or two syllables so there isn’t that much to be split. Here are some examples of two syllable words:

• English
  • today
  • happy

To split a word into its syllables simple pronounce the word very slowly.

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Greetings[YSaerTTEW443543]

usually I try to pronouce the word very slowly but unfortunately I always make mistakes …are they some rules ?

Hi Karim,

Can you please record the following words so we can assess your pronunciation?

English
action
improve

Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A walking frame[YSaerTTEW443543]

1 Like

yes of course
to my mind the division of these words is :

eng-lish
ac-tion
imp-rove

if the division is false why?

By recording I mean record your voice. Do you have a microphone?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Boarding the schoolbus[YSaerTTEW443543]

no I haven’t
but the voice isn’t working " I mean the voice sending by you"

Hi Karim, have you got Java installed and activated in your browser?

english-test.net/community/i … o_messages[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Kids running barefoot[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Karim, can you see this message?
[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Four happy skiers[YSaerTTEW443543]

the download begins

ok …cool
thank you very much mr Torsten
I installed java and I heard clearly the voice
can you give me more words and its pronunciation…

Karim, I advise you to train looking for words in the dictionary (the pronunciation of dictionaries has division of syllable, generally represented with a dot) and hearing the voice in a web site, for example: www.ldoceonline.com (Longman Dictionary Online) if you want to learn British English.

English has a rule for it:
The division is based on vowels.
For example, you are wrong in these words:
eng-lish
imp-rove
The correct form is:
En.glish
im.prove
Remember that sometimes the representation of vowel in English not necessarily represents a phonetic vowel:
im.prove [/ɪmˈpruːv/]–> the part “prove” has one phonetic vowel then, has one syllable.
In addiction, some words don’t correspond with the pronunciation:
En.glish has two pronunciation:
/'iŋ-glish/ or /'iŋ-lish/, where the “g” fit in, if some people don’t pronunciate it?
I advise you to learn phonetic transcription, www.ipa.org

Regards,
Danilo

1 Like

The biggest problem for me is the location of stress, not the division of syllables.

thank you very much danilo for this interesting informations…
nice to meet you…my problem in the pronunciation…I understand perfectly english however in the pronunciation I have some problems because I pronounce the english word by french alphabetic …

1 Like

Hi Karim,

If you want to improve your pronunciation you need to get a microphone so you can start using our voice recorder. We can give you feedback and advice on your pronunciation only if we can hear your voice.

So the question is when are you going to start recording voice messages? Writing about about how to improve your pronunciation is like talking about driving a car without actually driving it.

Many thanks,
Torsten
PS: Please note that the following words don’t exist in English:

• informations
  • french
  • english[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Why can’t we finish this report tomorrow?[YSaerTTEW443543]

English has this problem compared with Latin languages, what you read is very different from what you speak.
I passed you the wrong link, see these:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio … c_Alphabet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio … or_English
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Arabic/Arabic_alphabet
fonetiks.org/

1 Like

can you tell me which syllables are difficult to find and which has more stress with the words im also find some problem in this.

1 Like