Such vs Very. (such or very)

“Such”. Do not use “such” to mean " very."

Wrong : New York is such a crowded city.
Right : New York is a very crowded city.

I quite often have heard English native speakers using such an expression that I started using it the same way without really knowing it is improper, What is the reason behind this grammar statement here in “New York is such a crowded city” to be wrong?

By the way, I read it on the internet while studying English.
Thanks in advance, and might the Lord be with you.

Cisco.

1 Like

There is nothing wrong with it, Cisco; it is just informal. It would look better with an exclamation point:

New York is such a crowded city!

1 Like

Hi Cisco

I’m sure you have heard native speakers saying things such as “New York is such a crowded city.” It is common informal usage in the US to use “such a” to mean “a very”. However, this usage is often not accepted in formal writing unless it is qualified with a clause. For example:

"New York is such a crowded city that some people feel completely overwhelmed the first time they visit."

EDIT:
Oops! Sorry MrM, didn’t see you there.

1 Like

Fine! As usual, you complete me.

Hi Amy and MM,
May I have a question for you?

I’ve noticed that you two often use many periods in your posts (at both the beginning and the end of the posts). Could you please tell me if that is necessary in formal writing?

Thank you very much,
Nessie.

1 Like

Hi Amy,
How often do you see British people use this syntax?

Many thanks,
Nessie.

My ‘periods’ are just a way to frame my post by creating an upper and a lower margin.

Hi Nessie

If the Cambridge Dictionary is any indication, the usage is the same:
dictionary.cambridge.org/define. … &dict=CALD

Hi Amy,

I wonder if ‘it’ at the end of the sentence is necessary…

Many thanks,
Nessie.

Hi Nessie

You could add “it”, but I would say that most people wouldn’t.

Hi Amy,
Here I am taught that in formal/standard English, ‘it’ is compulsory, because ‘visit’ is a transitive verb, and this is not a sentence with relative pronoun (‘that’ doesn’t modify ‘visit’). In other words, the version without ‘it’ is wrong in formal/standard English. What do you think?

Many thanks,
Nessie.

1 Like

Good morning Nessie.
“Visit” is both transitive and intransitive verb, you can check it at dictionary.reference.com/browse/visit
“–verb (used without object) 10. to make a visit”.

God Bless you.
Cisco.

Hi Nessie

Cisco is right. The verb “visit” is both transitive and intransitive. Keep in mind that if you added the word “it” to the end of my sentence, “it” could also be a refrence to something other than New York City – depending on the broader context. In fact, I’d say that would be the most likely reason that someone might add “it” to that particular sentence.

1 Like