Such as: Countries(, ) such as Brazil and Canada are large

Please read:

1.Countries such as Brazil and Canada are large.
2.Countries, such as Brazil and Canada, are large.
3.Such countries, as Brazil and Canada, are large.
4.Such countries as Brazil and Canada are large.

a.I think only (2) is incorrect. Is it right?
b.Can I remove such as Brazil and Canada in (2) and as Brazil and Canada in (3)?Please tell me the rule?
c.What is the difference in meaning btw (1),(3) and (4)?Are they the same meaning?

Quoc

1. Is correct

2. Is correct if you want emphasise Brazil and Canada, or refer back to them,

3. Is acceptable, meaning the same as 1.

4. Is acceptable but does not mean the same thing. It means is "These (or those) countries are large, like the other countries Brazil and Canada ".

In 1, 2 and 4 the meaning is: “these countries including Brazil and Canada”, whereas in 3: Brazil and Canada are seperate, though similar countries.

You cannot remove such as Brazil and Canada in (2) without significantly changing the meaning. “Countries are large.” suggests that all countries are large.

Dear teacher,

That means I can remove as Brazil and Canada in (3) without significantly changing the meaning. Is it right?

Quoc

Such countries are large.

Because of the word such, this sentence would (have to) refer back to a previous sentence about certain countries. Therefore it does not mean all countries. The main difference is that the additional information (Brazil and Canada) is missing.

Amy

Dear teachers,

In your opinions, (1) and (2) have the same meaning. So, do you think it’s necessary to put “,…,” in (2)?
,…, is redundant?
Quoc