Structure: ...original intention as [atoned] for by your...

Hi,

I read the following sentence , and I can’t understand what sentence structure of “atoned” here.

[color=blue]“Would Mr Darcy then consider the rashness of your original intention as atoned for by your obstinacy in adhering to it?” We know “consider sb/sth as sth” , here “as " shouldn’t be a prep, because “atoned” is v-ed, acting as an adj seemingly. So , if it were , it could be said like,”[color=blue] Would Mr Darcy then consider the rashness of your original intention atoned for by your obstinacy in adhering to it?" Or I wonder if there could be added with some words or not, for instance, " Would Mr Darcy the consider …as [color=blue]what is atoned for …" ? The other question is, I wonder if the word “by” is unecessary or not? Is it right to say" [color=blue]Would Mr Darcy then consider the rashness of your original intention atoned for your obstinacy in adhering to it?"
I am not meaning to challenge Jane Austen. :stuck_out_tongue: Just don’t know this sentence much! :oops:

Thanks, welcome to give your opinions!
F.F

Hi FangFang

What do you think about this:

Would Mr Darcy then consider the rashness of your original intention as being atoned for by your obstinacy in adhering to it?”

being atoned for by /having been atoned for by → passive format

Amy

Thanks, Amy!!!
I wonder if it sounds ok ______"…consider …as atoned…" , what do you think of the “as” here? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi FangFang

The collocation “considered as” is quite common. Have a look here:
sara.natcorp.ox.ac.uk/cgi-bin/sa … sidered+as

Technically speaking, using the word as probably isn’t necessary.
In fact, it might even be considered wrong by some sticklers. ;))

Amy