Strip

Attn: All the moderators and members

The word ‘strip’ printed on the pack/box of medicine here makes sense or does not?

Attn: All the moderators and members

The word ‘strip’ printed on the pack/box of medicine here makes sense or not.

So, what’s the meaning of strip here?

I think it’s not incorrect to say.
I purchased 5 strips of Encorate

For me, there’s nothing unexpected in the usage of ‘strip’ there. You can come across strips of leather/metal/tape/cloth whatsoever, so why not strips (of PVC) each containing 10 tablets/capsules? (Provided the tablets/capsules form a line.)
If ‘a strip’ is a unit (=10 tablets), i.e. you can’t buy 6 or 7 tablets, I think you can refer to it as 5 strips of medicine. In fact, here we sometimes do buy say, a couple of strips of a painkiller if you don’t need the whole pack of 50\100 tablets.

It does.

I think that Beeesbeees commented on it being unnatural.
You can say many things that will be understood but at the same time will elicit snickering/raised eyebrows, which is not the kind of reaction you would want to see, right?

Here’s more examples of funny English:
engrish.com/

Thank you Eugene for your feedback.

Thanks a lot to you for your response.
Is it okay to say?
‘He purchased 5 strips of 10 Valium tabs.’ ( In all 50 tablets)

You need to review the original conversation.

Here’s a handy summary for you:
Account/ money

I confess I didn’t follow the discussion Bev mentions before replying to the usage of ‘strip’. Now I’ve read it I think we are dealing with a cross-cultural thing there. We know that in some countries you wouldn’t buy a medicine otherwise than on the prescription from your GP, while other countries (mine included) freely sell different drugs through drugstores. Moreover, drugstores can take different approach to whether to divide a pack or not.
My point is you can use ‘strip’ when dealing with locals who understand it, but when in England you have to use the terms English natives accept. After all, we’re learning English, not teaching English natives to speak it.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

That’s a point! :wink: