Strike somebody as (being) something

Universal may strike investors as more appealing still. Its back catalogue of 3m songs, by everyone from the Beatles to Lady Gaga, is twice the size of Warner’s. Its slug of the recorded-music market is creeping up.”[from The Economist]

the explaination of **strike somebody as (being) something from ldoceonline:to seem to have a particular quality or feature

So “His jokes didn’t strike Jack as being very funny.” means “His jokes didn’t seem fuuny to me.”?
“Universal may strike investors as more appealing still.” means “The Universal makes the investors think it is still appealing.”?

2 Likes

To strike someone in this context does mean it causes them to think about it. It causes them to realize and notice it. It stands out.

The word still in this sentence is not a reference to time. So is still appealing is not correct.

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/still
adv.
3. In increasing amount or degree

The sentence might be rewritten as:

Universal may strike investors as even more appealing.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for your swift and useful explanation, @NearlyNapping

Sarah, you might also look at this:

2 Likes

Thank you @NearlyNapping
Your explaination is very clear and easy to understand.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing the relative thread. It does help!

1 Like

You probably mean ‘related thread’? There is a difference between the adjectives ‘relative’ and ‘related’.

2 Likes

Ya, that’s what I meant to say. Thank you.

1 Like

“It would be better still if they seized the opportunity to rewrite the rules for schools.”
I came across the word “still” in another artical. I think it has the same meaning as the one I posted.

2 Likes

Yes, that has the same meaning.

2 Likes