strike someone as (being) something

Hi everyone!

I came across this sentence when I was reading: Most of Australia strikes Europeans as a dry inhospitable country.

Does it mean that Europeans surprisingly find that most of Australia is dry and inhospitable?

Or does it simply mean that Australia leaves Europeans such an impression.

What I am trying to ask is that if “strike sb. as …” implies that sb. is surprised by the fact in question.

Another thing. In that same sentence, the subject is “most of Australia” but the end of the sentence says “country”. I was thinking “most of Australia” is not exactly a country. Instead, it is only a part of the country. So do you think the sentence is a bit incoherent or am I just being too nitpicking?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Daisylove,

‘It strikes me as’ suggests that is the impression that I have but it doesn’t mean that you are surprised… Consider also: I was struck (past participle of ‘strike’) by the high standard of the acting in the play i saw last night. This suggests that you were greatly impressed by the acting. Again ‘striking’ can be used as an adjective to suggest impressive as in: As soon as you see her, you have to admire her striking appearance.

Australia is a country!

Alan

1 Like

Thank you Alan!
I understand your answer to the first question.
As to the second one, I have no doubt that Australia IS a country. But the sentence starts with “most of Australia”, which means most part of Australia rather than Australia as a whole. That’s why I think it is weird the sentence comes down to the word “country”. Well I am not sure if I’m making sense at all.

Hi Daisylove,

‘Most of Australia’ means the largest part of Australia or Australia as a whole. In the same you can say most of Britain is heavily populated except for the far north, where few people live.

Alan

1 Like

You just need to consider that Australia is an uncountable noun and so it requires a singular verb.

Hi VW,

What has that got to do with my reply?

Alan

Oh sorry mr. Alan. That was for the one who had asked the question. I had no intention of making you angry or interrupting you.

Thank you Alan!

Now I understand better I guess. Since this logic is likely to be grammatically wrong in Chinese language I found it difficult to understand at first.

1 Like