SPRING/5. Mars.2013

The snowdrop is one of the first signs of nature in spring

SNOWDROP IS THE HERALD OF THE SPRING.

To me, the trees trunks there catch more attention.
It must be a sign of my aging!

The tree-trunks are really beautiful and this isn’t your aging! We can be similar aging. The tree-trunks show us in which direction is north. The tree-trunks are greenish or mossy where the sun doesn’t shine them. If somebody doesn’t have an compass dans the wood the tree-trunks help to find the direction.

In our country we say when the first snowdrop appears that the herald of spring arrived. Now I saw the English people say the same saying when the snowdrop appears.
Is this saying known in your country?

I am a flower lover. But unfortunately, I have never seen snowdrop in our country, let alone the saying.
Too bad!

Snowdrop is a protected flower in Hungary and the ranger caught you red handed when you pick them, you have to pay a high fine.

When I used to be young they were even not defended and as the International Women’s Day is on 8th Mars the women received a bouquet of snowdrops.
Interesting that it is finished in Hungary. In those days before Woman’s day the streets were full of people who sold the snowdrops.

The world and the customs changed.

I love snowdrops! Snowdrops are said to be the heralds of spring in Romania too. And people can still be seen selling little bouquets of snowdrops for a few days around the date of 8 March in droves over there.
So, since we are neighbours, I’m surprised to hear that this humble and meek --but strong-- flower is considered to be endangered in Hungary, Kati.

Now that you got me going, I have to say that my favorite part of spring is the time when the Robinia trees go mad – just like this song says (the clip is not in English, so please feel free not to have a look at it at all :-)):

youtube.com/watch?v=w5nSSUAC … detailpage

At times like this, I do regret smell-o-vision hasn’t been invented yet! :slight_smile:

And you know what? This spring I’ll most likely get to witness that again (I do hope I won’t be too late)! You see, all my mom’s neighbours planted Black Locust trees to delimit their yards (long ago, before they had fences), so my mom’s garden is simply surrounded by them!
If only it weren’t for the darned bees! They do drive me insane with all their buzzing and humming! Everything else around is so awfully quiet and then the sounds that these swarms of bees make… It really felt like being in a science fiction movie. Hopefully, those people living just a couple of houses away have given up raising bees by now!

15th Mars 2013- National Holiday -snow catastrophe-280 000 people remained in the captivity of the snow for more than 48 hours. The weather forecast foretold the stormy weather but the defense of catastrophe wasn’t prepared.

Hello Justin Huang

I send you two pics of snowdrops at the second you can examine how it looks like when it is only one flower. Otherwise, they grow in large numbers as you have seen on my first pic of snowdrops.

Regards: Kati Svaby

Hello Christina,

I like also very much “when the Robinia trees go mad” As I have lot of Robina locust which have white flowers; we have with yellow flowers which we call “gold rain” but in English this is laburnum; in Hungarian we say lilac Robina (acacia) what is in English is Gazlap Wisteria As the first spring flower is the snow-drop, after the crocus.Now we have been to our garden, and I saw the crocuses.

As these flowers will burst into bloom only in May that’s why I didn’t speak about them. My Gazlap Wisteria in last May.

I love the spring because the flowers come one after the others it would be very difficult to enumerate the line when they appears . We will have soon violates, goldenrods, hyacinths,narcissi, after tulips,honesties ,roses,peonies,irises,lilies,lilacs, lilies of the valley ,giglios di San Giovanni- in the same time some of them are together.

I am sure that I omitted some ones.

These flowers are in my garden , I tried to enumerate as they appears- I have pics of them and every year I take new photos of them.
I agree with you that: At times like this, I do regret smell-o-vision hasn’t been invented yet! :slight_smile:

I have never seen Black Locust trees now I watched them on the Internet. It is really good for hedge but the bees will like their flowers. Christina, we have lot of wasps they live in the loft and when we begin to eat they swarm around us. We can’t do anything against them, only drive them away meantime we want enjoy our meal or we could eat in the kitchen but everybody says : NO, we wan’t to eat on the terrace.

C’est la vie! In Hungarian we say in brief: Something for something.

Bye: Kati

Hello Kati,

Your Wisteria tree is beautiful! I have seen this picture in another thread before but I thought it was some variety of Lilac tree (another one of my favourites – especially the double-flowered ones). Shame on me!
The bright yellow crocuses are lovely too! (The ones I’m used to are a pale shade of orange.)

Speaking of bees – once the blossom period of the Black Locust is over and the flowers are gone, we get rid of a good number of them as they probably need to travel further away to spot their nectar sources. And then the place too loses that science fiction feel that I was mentioning!

Which reminds me: apparently, bees will travel several miles (up to 8, if I remember correctly) to collect nectar and pollen, but the farther away they have to fly the shorter their life span (due to wing damage and predation). Just a random piece of information floating around in my head, taking up precious space. :wink:

Hello Christina,

Many thanks for your letter. As I know that you are not a sentimental person, but you know how my life turned into a tragedy, because of his illness.

I answer you as you know about never changed , became almost insupportable.I try sometimes write here, but my enthusiasm to learn English has gone by.

I do it to divert my attention off the worst what is approaching, and unfortunately everybody asks me whether I am prepared for this. He lost 10 kilo and the clothes hung on him, he can do everything very,very slowly, he can walk only with a stick, and we can stop after 3 steps to collect his strength. I am not prepared for anything only I fear .

I have to see how he become weaker and weaker and how he battles against his illness. We never speak about the death, whereas we know that we should speak about it.

I have to say the doctors also admires him that he is alive yet. The doctors like him very much for his patience, for that he never complains, he tells objectively how his state became worse.

Today he asked me to massage him with a machine, and it was terrible because he became bone and skin. When this massage machine touched a bone it was painful for him. I have to be very cautious.

I will write on this Forum till he will be alive because I do it only for drawing my attention from my terrible thoughts.

Christina, many thanks that you read my letter. It would be a private affair, but this is a double illness he is ill from his lung, and I am ill to see his suffering.I have to take tranquillizers. Probably that’s why I couldn’t control my feelings.

As I remember that once you wrote about yourself that the people doesn’t like you.In this question we are similar. I think the same of myself I always estimated you even when we disputed. There are few people on the Forum with whom I disputed - because if I don’t agree with somebody I always express my contrary opinion -, but I respect very much these people. And I am very sorry that I couldn’t say to them that when I disputed with them it didn’t mean that I didn’t respect them.

I am happy that I could say to you this for the second times.I promise in my next letter I won’t speak about his illness. Sorry!!!

Take care:
Kati

Hi, Cristina

I watched the clip a few times because the music match the spring spirit, the lyrics are a little weird (the way I like) and of course the images are super. I haven’t watched it before and I’m glad that you posted it.

The flowers of the locust tree are perfectly designed and in so many colors! white, light pink, pink, yellow, light purple, purple, blue? If you put them together in an arch shape, you’ll surely obtain a rainbow!

The darned bees have good taste you know, this is why they buzz all day in and around these trees. Have you tasted these flowers? I’m sure you did, in your childhood, because they are sweet and good and all children like it (when the flowers don’t contain a bee inside - thank God it didn’t happen to any of us - we were a lot of children in the neighborhood, playing together all day).
When I saw the images in this clip, I felt the perfume of all these flowers and also an extra-perfume: the one of my childhood.

See you,
Monica

Hi Kati,

I understand, and there is no need to apologise.

(Sorry for this late reply but I’ve been having troubles with my internet connection and couldn’t log in.)

Hi Monica,

You’ll be surprised to hear that I’ve never tried the Black Locust flowers. I know of children who would taste the seeds or even the young pods (hmm… I think – I don’t remember all that well) but I only found out that the flowers are edible and apparently quite tasty few days ago while I was looking for the English name of this tree. Anyway, I was never tempted to try those either, especially since I had heard that at least some of the seeds and pods are toxic.

I know that you meant that the lyrics are “a little weird” in a good way (I thought I’d mention this for those readers who don’t understand Romanian :-))!

Glad that the clip brought back pleasant memories!

Yes Cristina,
weird lyrics which make the songs be more interesting – that’s when lyricists say only half-ideas or use many words and play with them, like for example Pavel Stratan who says in one of his songs “I was born on my birthday” and “I do have memory but I can’t remember where I keep it” , or “I get mad only when I can’t get mad”. I like his songs, because almost all of them are subtle word-games, where words run fast one after another, and I have fun thinking to the exact meaning.

See you,
Monica

Which reminds me: what a good honey the poor bees (whom we want to get rid of) can make from Black Locust flowers’ nectar and pollen! It’s the best honey, at least I like it more than any other kind of.

I also like your new picture - that foggy forest, yellow-colored and mysterious …

Monica

WINTER- on 25th,26th,27th March 2013…where is its end?

Everybody speaks about the weather. One translated article:

"My grandfather was a swineherd. Since he died in 1948 I didn’t find a similar weatherman as he used to be…He could foretell the weather without mistake. If we asked him what would be the weather like next day he told: Or it would be raining or snowing or it would be a rotten weather or nice. He used to be always right…

Nature is waking up at last!
I caught some spring colors today in my town. Look:

Pink:

White:

Yellow:

Magnolia white&pink:

Hello Monica,

What a sight! I couldn’ believe my eyes that in Timisoara the spring arrived. It is a miracle, when almost all Europe is suffering from the winter. I think that Timisoara has a mediterranean climate or a microclimate???

One thing is sure that when we were walking in Timisoara it was a beautiful, pleasantly warm sunshine in the town. It was similar than in an Italian town.

Your photos are beautiful and raise my hopes that the SPRING arrives here also SOON.

Hello Monica,

What a sight! I couldn’ believe my eyes that in Timisoara the spring arrived. It is a miracle, when almost all Europe is suffering from the winter. I think that Timisoara has a mediterranean climate or a microclimate???

One thing is sure that when we were walking in Timisoara it was a beautiful, pleasantly warm sunshine in the town. It was similar than in an Italian town.

Your photos are beautiful and raise my hopes that the SPRING arrives here also SOON.

My letter doesn’t want to do through.
Till I was waiting for that my letter could go through I saw the Hungarian and Slovak whether forecast.
Though the first pic says that the spring arrives in the next week (optimist than the pic),

but under another article with this title: We won’t have a bursting Spring.

Second pic from Slovakia where the weather forecast says that the winter will remain in April too, with this pic.

My luck that I couldn’t enjoy the spring till I am confined to bed. It’s cold comfort to me.

Bye again: Kati

Hi, Kati

Spring has come despite the bad weather, because after a little snow that we had two weeks ago, the weather has been rainy and cold every day, with not more than 5-7 C, but see, the plants know what their rights are, and ignored the temperatures.
This morning the thermometer shows me 9,5 C and it’s the first sunny morning I see after a long time.
I’m sure that spring has come.
I sent it to our neighbors too :slight_smile:

Have a nice Sunday!
Monica