Speaking English for 20 seconds a day?

Claudia - thank you very much,the sore throat missed me these days.What about the health insurance bugging ?
Alan and Tom - I’m drinking the same as you - tea! My grandmother collects different kinds of herbs from the mountain.
Alan - this events isn’t very popular it is the first time I’ve heard such a celebration.The occasion is something like rebellion, revolution or … ?
Kitos - Did you take the dogs for a stroll or you stayed at home ? Maybe i missed that moment

I’M HAVING PROBLEM WITH THE HEADPFONES.FOR NOW I CAN’T TALK.
THIS POST HAD VOICE MESSAGE BUT IT DOESN’T APPEAR - I’LL FIX IT

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Hi,

Managed to survive the firework onslaught - no that’s a bit of an exaggeration. It was eerily quiet. We’re shortly off on a visit to a place not far from the south coast of England. As the crow flies, it’s not really that far but then crows aren’t bothered about traffic and going through central London and my six year old Jaguar would probably take all day to do that. It’s reckoned traffic now moves in London at about the rate it did in the 19th century in the days of horse and carriage. So we travel on the motorway that goes all the way round London, laughingly referred to as the longest roundabout in the world. It goes by the name of M25. Mention that letter and those two digits to anyone living in the south east and you’ll see a grimace appear on the face of your listener followed by a series of anecdotes about traffic delays. It rivals the weather as a topic for conversation. So wish me luck!

Alan

Please listen to my recording and respond with a voice message too. Many thanks.

Hi Claudia,

A little housework is good for you. It keeps you out of trouble! HA! :lol: Housework is one of those little annoyning things that we all must do, I guess.

As for me today, I am organizing the paperwork to begin recording the full length TOEIC and TOFEL tests that will soon be available on english-test.net. So hopefully, I will have those back to Torsten in a couple of days.

The weekend looks promising - at least the weather looks good. It should be about 65 degrees and sunny.

Alan, I hope you had a dandy trip!

Bye for now…

Tom

Hello everyone ,
I am new member to this site.
I would like to take test on next month.
Please tell me how to I prepare for the speaking section and writing section.
I saw essays and vocabulary questions in this site.
Really very good site , I appreciate
Kitosdad ,Torsen and Alan are helped so many students.
Please help me to get good score.
Many Thanks to all.

Good morning Tom,

Just love the word ‘dandy’ - it has a really jumpy enthusiastic ring about it. I know the word when it’s used to mean a bloke who is dressed in the latest fashion. Anyhow, the trip had its dandy moments and others not so dandyish- yes I like that word. I’m going to use it more often. We got there without the notorious delays with which the motorway is associated. My car simply purred its way along. When we arrived, we all went out for lunch and the only way I could describe the food and service is dandy. But the journey home was distinctly undandy. It rained so heavily the cat’s eyes on the road were barely visible. And then as soon as we were on the final stretch, the rain stopped and the roads took on a very smug look as if to say: What’s the problem?

This weekend I’m undertaking a book cull -I’ve just acquired too many. I know a cull is usually used to describe killing animals to reduce the breeding rate but the thing is I keep finding books I didn’t know I’d bought. The thought occurs to me what do all those books of mine get up to sitting together on those dark winter nights?

Alan

Hi,
Today is far better day than yesterday.I got up from the bed relaxed and laid-back.
Friday first of all I was absent in the mourning lectures and that wasn’t very good.There is strong possibility the teacher makes me some problems for the absent and I can be grounded like little kid.Second my headphones broke down I was confused if i could not record my voice here.
Today my friends keeping on at me to go with them to disco but I have work to do and I’ll turn them down in spite of being invited.

Hi,

This morning was what you might call a wake up call for me as I had to go to the dentist but it wasn’t too painful. There was a bit of minor engineering needed inside my mouth. But my dentist is such a happy soul and she’s so jolly that you can’t really complain. My car told me on the dashboard that it was cold, in case I hadn’t noticed. There’s some old wives tale that if there are a lot of berries on bushes, it’ll be very cold and if there aren’t many, then it’ll be mild. I’ve just looked out of the window and there do seem to be rather a lot of berries. Do you think if I remove some, my garden will be less cold than all the others in the neighbourhood? Well, it’s a warming thought.

Alan

Hi everyone,

it’s me, Claudia, again.

Today I was thinking about my accent. When I heard my voice recordings that I made here on this forum, I was thinking, oh my goodness, my accent has become so thick again! When I used to live in the United States, my English was real fluent and people would ask me, “Where are you from?” because my accent had almost disappeared. And now, after being back in Germany for a long time, my accent has come back again. I was shocked to hear myself, I must admit!

But other than that, everything is fine and dandy. My apartment is now spic and span. Yeah, I’m really happy about that. And that I didn’t have to go to the dentist, so . . .

Take it easy! Bye!

Oh, and before I forget: I guess that’s kind of why it is so important to practice English as often as you can, so you don’t lose what you already learned.

Take it easy.

Hello folks,

Claudia, I think you’re being too hard on yourself. Your accent is minor when you compare it to many others. I’m also gald your apartment is finally cleaned up! :smiley: You never know who will stop by for a visit.

Let’s see, we’re still in a very nice weather pattern here in Western, Pennsylvania. We’re about 30 degrees F above normal. I’m afraid it’s all coming to an end tomorrow. The temps will get back to normal. I had a great weekend though. I was able to get a lot of outdoor chores completed before the cold weather sets in.

Today, I’m just back in the office ready to begin another week.

Tom

Good morning everyone, just a quick note to say thank you for participating in this project. You are doing an excellent job encouraging other learners to practice their speaking skills.

There are millions of people who don’t have much access to spoken English and with this thread it is possible for them to hear your voices whenever they want to and how often they want. That’s fantastic so please keep posting your recordings and I’ll do the same.

Thank you,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A happy family[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi, everyone,
Thanks to Alan and Torsten, I’ve finally got here, trying to open my mouth.
Your english accents are really good. By contrast, I feel kind of unconfident.

Hi Naiverock,

Can you please tell me how to pronounce your name and what it means? As for your English, it’s great keeping in mind that your native language is Vietnamese. Of course it’s easy for Alan, Bill, Tom and all the other native speakers to have ‘good’ accents when they speak English. It’s much harder for people from Asia to develop their speaking skills. Let me tell you that I can understand everything you are saying and the more you speak the more confident you will get.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A heavy truck load[YSaerTTEW443543]

Good morning! Thanks Torsten for another great idea in helping us to speak as much as we can! :slight_smile:

Please listen to my try if you have some time.

Hi, Torsten,
Thank you for your encouragement.
My nickname is composed by naive and rock. Besides, my native language is Chinese, not Vietnamese.

Hello everybody, this is my first voice recording in this forum, I always find it is difficult to express something in English, I hope my english speaking can be improved through this forum, many thanks to all the moderators for their effort in encouraging people to “dare to speak out” their mind.

Hi Stanley,

Thank you for joining the’20 second club’ In my opinion you have no problem in expressing yourself in English. I hope to hear more messages from you.

This morning there was a distinct nip in the air as the temperature has fallen a few degrees again. I went to the hairdresser and was looked after by a charming diminutive blonde by the name of Amy. We usually have a chat while she removes the long strands of grey from my head and that’s how the half hour passed this morning. As I sit there I sometimes feel a bit like Methuselah talking to someone from a distant generation. It’s all so different from my early experience as a child of going to have my hair cut usually carried out by some fat and burly gent who slaughtered your head. That reminds me. When I was living in Switzerland I must have had it cut by a novice. He didn’t stop at cutting hair but had a go at my ear too, which bled profusely.

Alan

Hi Stanley,

I agree with Alan, I think you’re doing a splendid job with your English. Where did you learn to speak so well?

Since it’s still rather early in the morning as I type this, I’m enjoying a cup of coffee as I answer my e-mails.

As I am making my “to do” list for the day, I have noticed that the weather has gotten back to where it should be - colder! :cry: And hopefully, Torsten and I will chat later in the day.

Alan, you reminded me, I think it’s time to get my hair cut, too

Tom

Hi everyone,

I really have to say, you are all very brave for going to a hairdresser! I don’t go to any hairdressers. To me, a hairdresser is nearly as bad as a dentist. I had some very bad experiences with hairdressers in my life, and I think if they call themselves “hair-stylists”, they’re even worse. So, I prefer cutting my hair myself and ever since I do that, I have no problems with my hair anymore.

See you!