Speak spontaneously!

Part two
Cheers Urs

1 part
Skype session: my mistake. For exile and emigration Hungarian use one word only the emigration and I thought of is in the same way in English also. But non. English has two words for this concept.
(Once I say about my writing:Lock the stable door after the horse has bolted •) or Better late than never
If I look up the Hungarian word “emmigráció” in English in a Hungarian-English dictionary I receive two words: emigration and exile.
The exile is an unknown word in Hungarian so we use only the emigration when we speak about exile. On this Skype session I got into trouble when Mujibur asked what means emigration. I answered very surely his question as my grandfather lived in emigration - after the revolution of 1919 because as a judge absolved two communists. For that he was accused by complicity, that’s why he had to live in (emigration) exile in Romania for more than 20 years. I heard in my whole life that he had lived in emigration. Now I know if I spoke about this I should say he lived in exile.

What is the difference in English between the emigration and the exile?
Exile means to be away from one’s home (i.e. city, state or country), while either being explicitly refused permission to return and/or being threatened with imprisonment or death upon return. It can be a form of punishment and solitude.

It is common to distinguish between internal exile, i.e., forced resettlement within the country of residence, and external exile,deportation outside the country of residence.[2] Although most commonly used to describe an individual situation, the term is also used for groups (especially ethnic or national groups), or for an entire government. Terms such as diaspora and refugee describe group exile, both voluntary and forced, and government in exile describes a government of a country that has been forced to relocate and argue its legitimacy from outside that country.

Exile can also be a self-imposed departure from one’s homeland. Self-exile is often depicted as a form of protest by the person that claims it, to avoid persecution or legal matters (such as tax or criminal allegations), an act of shame or repentance, or isolating oneself to be able to devote time to a particular thing.
Article 9 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that “No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.”

Some famous exiled heads of state

Name Ex-state Term of government Exiled to
Napoleon
France
1804–1815 Saint Helena

Nicholas II of Russia
Russia
1894–1917 Internal exile to Siberia

King Zog
Albania
1926–1939 United Kingdom

Pol Pot
Cambodia
1976–1979 Internal exile (Cambodia)

Idi Amin
Uganda
1971–1979 Saudi Arabia

Jean-Claude Duvalier
Haiti
1971–1986 France

Ferdinand Marcos
Philippines

1965–1986 Hawaii

Erich Honecker
German Democratic Republic
(East Germany) 1971–1990 1) USSR, 2) Chile

2,part.

Emigration
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Last of England by Ford Madox Brown, depicting emigrants leaving England
Emigration is the act of leaving one’s country or region with the intent to settle permanently in another. It is the same as immigration but from the perspective of the country of origin. Human movement in general is termed migration. There are many reasons why people might choose to emigrate; these reasons can be divided into “pull” factors and “push” factors. Better economic opportunity is an example of a “pull” factor, as is a quest for a better climate. Fears of poverty or of religious or political discrimination are “push” factors. Seeking refuge from conditions not directly of one’s making is interim to possible emigration.
Emigration has had a profound influence on the world in the 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st centuries. Some noted examples include the millions of people who left Europe in the 18th and 19th centuries or the recent emigration of Mexicans into the United States.
The term “emigrate” usually suggests voluntary movement. However, involuntary migration refers to groups that are forced by their enemies to leave through population transfer or ethnic cleansing.
Factors leading to emigration[edit]
Motives to migrate can be either incentives attracting people away, known as pull factors, or circumstances encouraging a person to leave, known as push factors, for example:

Push factors[edit]
• Lack of employment or entrepreneurial opportunities
• Lack of political or religious rights
• Persecution or intolerance based on race, religion, sex or sexual orientation
• Lack of freedom to choose religion, or to choose no religion
• Shortage of farmland; hard to start new farms (historically)
• Oppressive legal/political conditions
• Struggling or Failing economy
• Military draft, warfare
• Famine or drought
• Cultural fights with other cultural groups
• Expulsion by armed force or coercion
Pull factors[edit]
• Better opportunities for acquiring farms for self and children
• Cheap purchase of farmland
• Instant wealth (as in California Gold Rush)
• More job opportunities
• Higher pay
• Prepaid travel (from relatives)
• Better welfare programmes
• Better schools
• Join friends and relatives who have already moved
• Build a new nation (historically)
• Build specific cultural or religious communities
• Political freedom
• Cultural richness

Hello Webmaster,

I try to look for a photo, among my own posts and I could go back to the 60.page and here I received a message:
“No topics or posts met your search criteria”

What does it mean? I can’t see again my own letters? I was already near the date.

If is a mistake please help me to find to find what I am looking for. If there isn’t possibility to review my old letters please to inform me.

Regards:
Kati Svaby

|Hi friends of E.T.N., I wish you a great and blessed week. Today, I will read an article called Wiki-Thinking, from Speak Up issue 261. I hope you can understand my accent -:)-:)-:slight_smile: and enjoy my message.

Hello Urs,

I had a friend here who liked very much Gaudi.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Thank you, Kati, your comments are most kind. I really treasure your appreciative feedback.

It’s a bit ironic that you should ask me about Gaudí park. Because that’s the place where I lost my old camera. It bothered me more to lose some 200 pictures than $500 worth of equipment. At least it gave me an excuse to buy a new camera…"

If the click doesn’t successful here look for the original letter, it’s worth it.
english-test.net/forum/ftopic88337-60.html

Here I found my husband’ s three self-portraits from 3 different periods. This guy was a teacher here, and he was photographer and painter. He sent me 2 self-portraits of himself and asked me to send him self-portraits of my husband.I sent these ones.

Dear Kati,

Thanks for the gifts you have been posting on E.T.N.

Have a great week.

JosĂŠ Sarto

Hello Kati
That’s really very nice that you share your husband’s self-portraits with us here!:)!:slight_smile: (I hope he has agreed to it, and in case not, I won’t tell him, promissed Kati). Quite a while ago you have sent me a link to a homepage were I could find some of his pictures. I still remember that, it was amazing. I’ll go back in our posts and try to find it again, I didn’t safe it at the time, unfortunately.

Thanks for the link to your colleague Ralph too!

I looked through the pictures on his homepage.

The following two remind me very much of those which were up on the walls of our dining room at home…

Pictures of the Parque Guell in Barcelona, Copy Right by Ralph (colleague of Kati)

Many years ago I stayed in Barcelona too and did scetches from random sites in the old town…

From the new buildings which you can find plenty of in Barcelona, I took many photos actually, but I won’t bother you with them right now…:slight_smile:

Cheers Urs

some reading of my last Speak Up: a joke “The pope and the lawyer”, and some advancedEnglish from Downtown Abbey, an interview with Jessica Fellowes(fellows is its right pronunciation). OMG… Have a great time, my dear friends, and thanks for your patience.

Urs, by the way, I enjoyed the drafts and pictures you have posted today.

Kati: I also appreciated the very beautiful images you posted as well.

Thanks to all of you.

heavenNNNN, sittiiinnnnggg at its end. bye for now, enjoy life and keep smiling. have fun as well.

Dear Jose and Urs,

Excuse me that I write one letter of both of you. Many thanks for your friendly words. Of course I put the self-portraits without asking him.
I know that’s not very nice of me , but he never gave me a permission to put them up. I don’t know why ? Because there are some books about their pictures, and on the internet also you can find some of them. So I didn’t commit a crime only I showed you three self-portraits,

José, I listen regularly to your records, it isn’t your mistake that I understand a lot of words, but I can’t synthetize them in my mind. Perhaps this last one was about Alan: The Slough of Despond. But tell the truth I very difficultly understand everybody’s records without transcription. This is my problem, I can solve it or not. I try my hardest, Does that ‘Speak Up’ exist, and it helps us to understand the records?

Urs your drafts are very proportional and synoptic, clear. Congratulations on them.

I am very sorry that I can’t read out because this is the time of the news and my husband listen to the news. The TV is very loud, and I can’t read out until he turns off the TV. He doesn’t like if I left him alone, it was the most that he tolerates that I am writing and meantime I am hearing the news also. So I read out everything after 10.

Take care,

Kati

Kati,

This Speak Up has some Italian origin. Brazilian newstands have some of these: Speak Up, Hot English, Go English. Look for English only magazines in your country thas have a CD included. Look for Think in English, a Spanish magazine. It’s for advanced students, and you can download its many recordings. Think in English is a fantastic magazine. And please give some time to listen to English programmes on your tv. Listening ability is one of the hardest to master. Do you agree with me? Bye for now, take care, and enjoy life.

Hello Jose, you 've found out what I was thinking about. Once I could buy a Speak up with disc and I never listened to it. I bought myself so lots of things that if I lived until 200 years it was enough to read them. Now I will listen to this Speak up as soon as possible.

Many, many thanks.

Take care:
Kati

Hello JosĂŠ, hello Kati
Thanks for your recording, JosĂŠ! An interesting topic - I wonder if you can find that television series Downtown Abbey on the net?
I would really like to watch it once.
I still remember series that we watched when I was young, for instance one called “the roots”. It was about slavery, that is the business of deporting and selling african people to America…
As for my sketches: Thanks for the compliments, but I’m afraid, I don’t do that too much and they look a bit “bare bone”, so without any people for instance. It was the same with photography, for a long time I didn’t dare taking photos from living people, but I put that behind me:):slight_smile:

Kati:
I can understand why you can’t “speak up”, respectively record a message while your husband is watching TV. My granny used to do “Klöppeln”, in English this is called Bobbin Lace while they were watching TV and she always clamed that she could do that AND catch up everything that was broadcasted - so we’re back to the topic that you can (maybe) do several things at the same time…:):):slight_smile: Here is the link, so maybe people did that too in Hungary? (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbin_lace)
Have a nice evening

Dear Urs,

Have you tried it on Youtube.com? Thanks for your attention, and your much welcomed comments on pitches. I need to go back to my Phonetics book from Unitau: TaubatĂŠ University. And I tried to read it, some sentences, in a faster way due to the constraints of time. No matter where my mistakes were, I totally believe that you were able to understand most of it. -:slight_smile: -:slight_smile: -:slight_smile: Thanks again, and have a great Thursday. More to come tomorrow. ha!

Hello Urs,

Have you joked with me?

Many thanks for the word bobbin lace. I knew them very much as my grandmother also made beautiful bobbin lace table-cloth, collars, handkerchiefs, curtains, dresses trimmed with lace, even nightdresses trimmed with lace.

Our grandmother knew the bone-lace making. In Hungary the Halasy laces rival the Brussels laces. Its price is similar to the price of gold.

Look at the page where are these beautiful laces.

google.hu/search?q=halasi+c … 2&tbm=isch

Otherwise I liked very much knitting and I used to knit when I watched TV. My friends who like knit or crochet they do this when they watching TV. It is a very reassuring pastime.

Bye.

Letter from EnglisgClub

Hello, Kati!

7 Wonders of the Ancient World

A “wonder” is something beautiful or exceptional that gives
us a feeling of surprise or admiration.

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World were amazing
buildings and structures in ancient times. Here is the
generally accepted list:

1.The Great Pyramid of Giza (modern Egypt)
Great Pyramid of Khufu (Cheops) at Giza, outside modern
Cairo, is often called the first wonder of the world. This
pyramid was built around the year 2560 BC and is the only
Ancient Wonder to survive today.

youtube.com/watch?v=nvdsFGYqxr4

2.The Hanging Gardens of Babylon (modern Iraq)
These beautiful gardens were probably built by King
Nebuchadnezzar around the year 600 BC to please his queen,
Amuhia. Their terraces perhaps rose as high as 300 feet.

3.The Statue of Zeus (Jupiter) at Olympia (modern Greece)
This was a colossal 40 ft high figure in gold and ivory.
It was built by Phidias in the 5th century BC.

4.The Temple of Artemis (Diana) at Ephesus (modern Turkey)
This was a beautiful building, started about 350 BC, built
in honour of the Greek goddess of hunting. The temple was
destroyed by invading Goths in AD 262.

5.The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus (modern Turkey)
This was a famous tomb built by Queen Artemisia around the
year 353 BC in memory of her husband, King Mausolus. This
tomb is the origin of the modern word “mausoleum”.

6.The Colossus at Rhodes (modern Greece)
This was a huge bronze statue of Helios (Apollo), about
105 ft high. It was created by the sculptor Chares, who
apparently worked on it for 12 years, finally completing it
in 280 BC. It was destroyed during an earthquake in 224 BC.

7.The Pharos of Alexandria (modern Egypt)
This was a lighthouse built by Sostratus of Cnidus during
the 3rd century BC on the island of Pharos. It was destroyed
by an earthquake in the 13th century.

Word Checker

AD: abbreviation for “Anno Domini” (after Christ)
ancient: very old, the very distant past
BC: abbreviation for “before Christ”
ft: foot or feet (3 feet = approximately 1 metre)
lighthouse: a tower with a light to warn ships at sea
mausoleum: a large building containing a tomb or tombs
sculptor: an artist who makes sculptures
wonder: something that causes great admiration

–

Watch for another 7 Secrets email soon.

Best wishes,
Josef Essberger, Founder
EnglishClub

Bye:
Kati Svaby

Hello JosĂŠ

Did you mean trying out Downtown Abbey on Youtube?
If so, here is a link, and I found it very remarkable!

youtube.com/watch?v=EBTZpRGxkUI

Of course, as an architect, I’m in favour of keeping old buildings in good shape and alive very much, but this story and it’s castle hits the roof!

Bye for now!

Urs

Hello Kati
You asked me if I was making a joke?
My answer: it depends on what you mean!
I’m sometimes joking - at times I even mix a bit of truth into it - but I’m not really so good at it.
If I’m lucky people really laugh, but often I don’t mean to joke and they keep laughing…! That can get at my nerves, I tell you!
So my kids laugh about me quite a lot and tease me about some funny habits that I sport, like:
When I’m brushing my teath, I keep turning my head according to where my brush has some work to do - and Silvio finds that SOOOO funny that he immediately starts to play one of his favourite role games, imitating me.
If you complain and get jokingly upset about his role plays, then things get worse and he won’t stop repeating it until he’ll be grown up, I guess…
So much for joking - when you didn’t intend to…

Kati, I took a look at the Bobbing Lace link you sent me - and couldn’t believe my eyes! I kept scroling and scroling and scroling, no wonder that you told me the best of it is worth as much as gold!

Have a nice day!

Urs