Speak spontaneously!

Brazil, hyperTENshun, affect the kidneys. All in all, not a bad reading. Thanks for your attention.

Hello Kati,

Thanks a lot for such a beautiful rose you sent me for my birthday. Unfortunately, I donā€™t receive notifications about the posts from Speak Spontaneously thread on my e-mail. Thatā€™s why I missed it. Today I was looking through the pages and discovered this picture.

Thanks a lot my dear friend,
See you soon,
Yuri

Hello Urs,

Thanks a lot for your beautiful poem, dedicated to our meeting at my place. It seems to me that you have put a particle of your soul into these lines!

I donā€™t receive notifications from ā€œSpeak Spontaneouslyā€ thatā€™s why I missed your message and discovered it only today.

Of course, I would like to visit your country! Maybe I shall do it the following summer after my visiting the USA, because two big trips a year will be a little bit difficult to manage. Though never say never and maybe the stars will give us a favour in summer of 2014. In any case visting your home is a must)

Take care, my dear friend,
Yuri

Hello Megan,

Hello Yuri
Thanks a lot for your reply! I hope you had a pleasant birthday party
(with or without a new camera - there is a time for everything).
And I understand completely that the priority next year is America. When I heard the News from you that you can go there in the autumn of 2014, I ā€œdid the mathā€ and opted for 2015 for our meeting here. You and whoever would like to come from your family is most welcome!!!
Iā€™m still so proud of you, I dare say, that you can go to the States - can you believe that?
Hugs Urs

Hello Megan
This is continue from my last post about flats and allā€¦
Urs

Hello JosƩ,

High blood pressure ā€“ The question was what is the high blood pressure.

I told this:

I began my remarks to say what is the normal blood pressure.
Normal blood pressure is 140/90 mmhg
In this number the upper number is the systolic pressure which shows the contracting state of the heart.
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦the low number is the diastolic number which shows the relaxed state of the heart between beats.
If this number lower than the normal we speak about low blood pressure.
If this number is higher we speak about high blood pressure.

The high blood pressure can be primary and secondary.
95% of the people have primary. The primary blood pressure doesnā€™t have obvious symptoms. Several times only on a screening they observe the problem.
The 5% of people has secondary blood pressure. Behind the secondary blood pressure we always find illnesses:
-heart failure
-coronary heart disease
-chronic kidney disease
And there 's even a forth wait a minuteā€¦ ā€œokayā€¦okayā€ -told JosĆ©ā€¦and I couldnā€™t find the forth: the peripheral arterial disease

I would have finished with this sentence:

The mmHg is millimeters of mercuryā€”the units used to measure blood pressure.

Thanks God Terry told this again and he wasnā€™t misunderstood.
[/u]

Hello Kati

Tomorrow morning, Iā€™m going to visit the Munch Exhibition - and Iā€™ll buy the catalogue so Iā€™ll be able to send some pictures:):slight_smile: so that I can tell you better how it was and what my feelings were when looking at the graphics - maybe Iā€™ll have to keep you waiting till Friday because tomorrow and on Thursday there are two Skype Sessions to attend and there is another friend, Moschad, that Iā€™m having a Skype meeting this week - and there are some other things that I should do this week, but Iā€™ll certainly get back to you about it!:):slight_smile:

Yes, you are right, in his later days, Munch seemed more to resemble a doctor or scientist or an engineer than a painterā€¦

As I love portraits - may I send the following picture of Madamme Matisse? She is presented in a bit sorrowful and concerned, even sad mood - without giving away too much by the look of her eyes, but her posture seems to me of a distinguished, well behaved and at the same time tender and sensible but withdrawing natureā€¦?

Itā€™s out of one of my Art Books - I still didnā€™t get round to read all the interesting comments in it, so I donā€™t know much about his time and what he thought, and about his wife. But I had a glimpse and saw that he had quite some criticistsā€¦ I myself appreciate some of his pictures very much!

I wonder if you would you call it an expressionist work as well?

Have a nice day - see you:)

Urs

Dear Urs,

I really doesnā€™t understand this sentence:

"As I love portraits - may I send the following picture of Madame Matisse? She is presented in a bit sorrowful and concerned, even sad mood - without giving away too much by the look of her eyes, but her posture seems to me of a distinguished, well behaved and at the same time tender and sensible but withdrawing natureā€¦?

I love me also the portraits very muchā€¦ From the beginning till today. I couldnā€™t stress that for me a portrait than Matisse portrait about his wife is a miracle.

Why you mentioned a Matisse portrait apropos with Munch. Why?

This portrait isnā€™t expressive but fauvist. The fauvism is a French word for the style of les Fauves (French for ā€œthe wild beastsā€), a loose group of early twentieth-century Modern artists whose works emphasized painterly qualities and strong color over the representational or realistic values retained by Impressionism. While Fauvism as a style began around 1900 and continued beyond 1910, the movement as such lasted only a few years, 1904ā€“1908, and had three exhibitions. The leaders of the movement were Henri Matisse and AndrĆ© Derain.

Another fauvist style can see on another portrait of Mme. Matisse.

Dear Kati,

As promised, I have read out the list of words which you posted a while back.

To the #1683 permalink
Scientific
Agriculture
Irrigation
water supply
peter out
endeavour
set sth forth
afterimage
water source
unprotected
technical term
pumpjacks = oil rigs
mineral hot waters
well up
thermal waters
mineral
medicinal
dissolved
curative power
drinking cure
medicinal waters
spa
radioactivity,
sulphurous acid
salt bromine carbonate
iodine.
medicinal bath
mineral water
acre wild oak-grove park.
alkali chloric
hydrogen carbonated
chronic arthritic : Ėˆ
orthopaedic deformation
post traumatic extended care
heart and circulatory disturbances
gynaecological troubles
nervous complain
recreational cures

Take care,
Megan

Dear Megan,

You read out so well that at the end I will become acquainted with this tongue-twister words.

Many thanks:

Kati

Hello Jose Sarto,

Hello Urs,

To prove that I like very much the portrays I send you 4 Fayum mummy portray which are same beautiful as the modern ones.

Jose Sarto (part 2),

Hello Kati

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Please donā€™t worry, there is no direct link between the Matisse Portrait of his wife and the Munch Exhibition we were talking about - so no reason to wonder about my sentence, I just jumped in my thoughts, nothing more, and I love Portraits and wanted to send one more - please forgive me to have made that little ā€œconfusionā€:slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your Explanation of the Fauvists (group of wild beasts). I didnā€™t know the meaning of this french word.
To me, I dare say, the Portrait of Madamme Matisse doesnā€™t seem that ā€œwildā€ - but I shouldnā€™t mind about that, I think. Classifications are not always that accurate, and I think there is seldom a painter that really fits in with the ā€œpictureā€ that ā€œpeopleā€ (usually art - critics) would like to put him into:). I read that Matisse himself stayed in that group only for a short time, about two years if Iā€™m not mistaken, and didnā€™t like to be classified at all in the first placeā€¦ Thatā€™s a luck!

Kati, you mentionned in one of your posts that everyone seems to have an oppinion about art from the moment of his birth - but that is the case with every topic and issue. When I talk to certain people about architecture then they just ask me: ā€œDo you like tilted roofs? I like itā€¦ā€, end of storyā€¦ There is a lot more to detect in modern architecture. This doesnā€™t mean that everyone likes it.

But, to be honest, when it comes to Art, Iā€™m just one more of those people who have only a limited knoledge about it. And yet, I sometimes like to share my feelings about a painting or a painter with someone - and itā€™s a pleasure to get such rich replies from you with many pictures - and you definitely know a lot more than I do:):)!

As for the change of painting and expression at the time when Munch lived: At the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th, a lot of things were in change, I think - and thatā€™s maybe why some of the people grew sort of ā€œunsureā€ and confused and therefore didnā€™t welcome all these new tendencies - I read something about ā€œbeautyā€ that had been ā€œabandonedā€ or so by the artists in the catalogue of Matisseā€¦

People still remembered pictures like this one of Renoirā€¦

And by the way, here a Picasso (MOMA)ā€¦

You are right of course:
If Picasso and Munch hadnā€™t come forward with expressionistic and avantgardistic paintings - then they had stayed unnoticed and there is good reason why these pictures are so much admired and estimated!

Les demoiselles (again MOMA), a lot of people were standing before it, so I took this photo from the Internetā€¦

Thanks to this developement maybe, people nowadays, I think, can see beauty in many other forms and ways as a consequence of all these changes - it doesnā€™t always have to be something like ā€œmy beloved portraitā€. It can be an installation, an abstract picture of and whatnot, of course, (instead maybe of a landscape or a still - live, because this is often considered as a rather old - style academic way of painting).
And thatā€™s all very well and totally logic and right of course. And I like that too, of course!

Here is an example, again from the MOMA, where expressionism maybe has found itā€™s way into architecture (Exhibition about Russian Modern Buildings):

And by the way:
What is the point of painting a somehow ā€œrealistic picture or portraitā€ today, thatā€™s a fair question. You can find that in photographs, in films, in the fashion magazines or on youtubeā€¦ it just doesnā€™t make much sense anymoreā€¦

Yet, I still adore my portraits! Maybe Iā€™m a tiny little bit old fashioned? Who knowsā€¦

So here come two other portraits that I saw in the Tretjakov Gallery in Moscow - please forgive the poor quality - I couldnā€™t buy the catalogue there because it was too heavy for my flight luggageā€¦

The flight of roomsā€¦ ā€œEnfiladeā€:

Peter the Great, after killing his son:

Pilatus challenging Jesus.

Have a nice day!

Urs

Kati
You were a little bit quicker than I, so I saw your post only after I had sent mine - yes, you profed to me very well that you love portraits too - thanks for the beautiful pictures.
So, this is my last post for today - see you soon!
Urs

Dear Megan,

I was really looking forward to having a new message of yours.

Sincere tks, ant letā€™s continue talking about food. yummy, ha!

Dear Megan,

I was really looking forward to having a new message of yours.

Sincere tks, ant leā€™s continue talking about food. yummy, ha!

Northeast, Southeastā€¦ -:slight_smile:

Hi Urs,

I understand your letter as you would say that Matisse very quickly left the Fauves as he didnā€™t agree with this style. It is true that he left the group what he established . This didnā€™t mean that he left the fauvist style.

The fauvism was a loose group of painters. Yes you are right that about after two years he left the group but he didnā€™t leave the style.

Fauvism lived between 1900-1910. That he didnā€™t leave the style proves a lot of paintings what he painted after his leaving.

The Fauvist movement has been compared to German Expressionism, both projecting brilliant colors and spontaneous brushwork, and indebted to the same late nineteenth-century sources, especially Van Gogh.

[b]Portrait of Madame Matisse (The green line), 1906, Statens Museum for Kunst, Copenhagen, Denmark/b]