Spacecraft

For much of its own history, space travel and exploration has been the exclusive domain of a select few of the most advanced nations in the world. Space programs have traditionally been huge, government-run operations with staggering budgets and vast bureaucracies. Many critics have charged that their size and inefficiency and a lack of innovation an inherent part of government-run space agencies. Yet, due to complexity of space related technologies, there seemed to be little alternative(what does it means when they put the “alternative” here?).
[size=150]
Can anyone please help me with these words and sentence above? Thanks in advance[/size]

As I understand in this context, little alternative means not many choices/solutions that they can choose (almost no choice).

How about these other words and sentences? please help me

a select few - a small number of nations had a space program
vast bureaucracies - had too many people (public sector workers & civil servants) involved.
And in that view many accused space agencies (like NASA) of being overblown in size, running inefficiently …

By the way, the sentence “Many critics have charged that their size and inefficiency and a lack of innovation an inherent part of government-run space agencies.” is ungrammatical.

Yes, it seems that “is” is missing:
…a lack of innovations is an inherent part of…