Sometimes it seems that today's

Sometimes it seems that today’s politicians will exploit any opportunity to ----------- their views, no matter how sordid or partisan.
❑ declaim
❑ invoke
❑ exclaim
❑ parrot
❑ adduce
❑ trumpet

Here the pair of declaim & trumpet is correct answer according to the answer key. My question is what is the problem with “exclaim”? Could anyone please help me here?

It is not very usual for “exclaim” to take a direct object (other than literal quoted text).

I don’t understand what do you mean by the “other than literal quoted text”. Could you please explain it?

One more:

The Russo-Turkish war (i) ------- Albanians, placing before them the (ii) ------- a division of their lands among competing powers. This, above all, served to bring Albanian nationalism surging out of its former (iii) ------- , culminating in a successful bid for independence only a few decades later.
Blank (i)
rankled
enervated (debilitated)
debased
Blank (ii)
volatile
minatory
feasible
Blank (iii)
latency
insularity
lucidity
After using the correct answer the complete sentence is following–
The Russo-Turkish war rankled Albanians, placing before them the minatory [color=red]a division of their lands among competing powers. This, above all, served to bring Albanian nationalism surging out of its former latency , culminating in a successful bid for independence only a few decades later.

My question is “Is the red part expression the extra information of “the minatory”?”

I meant something like:

He exclaimed “Go away!”

The first sentence in the passage about the Russo-Turkish war is ungrammatical. Something seems to have gone wrong with it … are you sure you copied everything correctly?

Yes Dozy, There was a error. The corrected version is below. And I don’t face any problem now. Thanks to you.

The Russo-Turkish war (i) ------- Albanians, placing before them the (ii) ------- [color=red]prospect of a division of their lands among competing powers. This, above all, served to bring Albanian nationalism surging out of its former (iii) ------- , culminating in a successful bid for independence only a few decades later.
Blank (i)
rankled
enervated (debilitated)
debased
Blank (ii)
volatile
minatory
feasible
Blank (iii)
latency
insularity
lucidity
After using the correct answer the complete sentence is following–
The Russo-Turkish war rankled Albanians, placing before them the minatory[color=red] prospect of a division of their lands among competing powers. This, above all, served to bring Albanian nationalism surging out of its former latency , culminating in a successful bid for independence only a few decades later.

I have another problem.

Excessive patriotism is by definition --------, as the apotheosizing(exalt, idolize) of one country necessarily requires some amount of demonization of other people.
❑ minatory
❑ xenophobic
❑ unethical
❑ bigoted
❑ nationalistic
❑ truculent

Here I think answer key xenophobic & bigoted is wrong. It should be xenophobic & nationalistic. Am I correct?

Demonizing other people (other than your own group) pretty well describes bigotry.

A person who is nationalistic wouldn’t necessarily demonize foreign nationals, at least in theory. I’m hard-pressed to think of a nationalistic person who isn’t bigoted, though.

Multiple-choice tests must be incredibly difficult to write.

Thanks Mr. Steve Thomas.

One more:

Most of his books drone on and on for chapter after chapter, each one providing [color=red]yet another example of his thesis, the --------- of which can be found in précis form in the tome’s first few pages, and which is recapitulated from that point on.
❑ gist
❑ PIP
❑ pith
❑ stub
❑ nimbus
❑ nut

What is the role of [color=red]“yet” in the sentence?

Why are you reposting questions?

Oh, sorry, I forgot that I had posted this question. I hope this phenomenon will not happen again.

What is the clue that the third blank should be filled with a word like “latency”?

How otherwise could you express the idea of nationalism being in a sleeping state? Latency is the only right word for it here.

The Russo-Turkish war (i) ------- Albanians, placing before them the (ii) ------- prospect of a division of their lands among competing powers. This, above all, served to bring Albanian nationalism surging out of its former (iii) -------, culminating in a successful bid for independence only a few decades later.

Hello, Eugene2114.
Let options are not given. Then How will you feel that what type of words should be used to fill in the third blank.

I would point to the verb ‘surge’ – ‘ncrease a lot very quickly’ --compared to the previous state. If it increased, then previously it was in what state…?