Some young people have free time in the evenings after school or on days off from school

Some young people have free time in the evenings after school or on days off from school. Which ONE of the following activities do you think would be most beneficial for young people (ages 14-18) to do in their spare time? Why?

-Gaining practical work experience either at a part-time job or by volunteering in the community

-Learning to play a sport

-Learning to play a musical instrument

Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

It is crucial to invest spare time wisely. In this competitive and stressful life, young people should focus on the activities which they enjoy. World is progressing and developing so fast that people try to compete with each other; therefore, practical work experience is necessary in each and every field. Sometimes grades arenā€™t an important factor, but the practical application is what people are expecting from the younger generation. In my opinion, young people between the ages 14-18 should focus on getting practical knowledge at a part-time job or by volunteering in the community because it helps them to get a job as per their interest and it allows them to decide which career path to choose.

First and foremost, sometimes grades arenā€™t the only factor to get a job, but practical skills are deciding criteria whether someone gets a job. Powerful practical experience is what companies are expecting from the young generation. As a result, extra practical knowledge makes it easier to find a job. For example, I always wanted to become a doctor, hence I volunteered at a charity hospital where people had to do multi-tasks to keep things going. I learnt how to be presentable and alert to complete the allotted task. I got valuable lessons like how to work in chaos with full responsibility which helped me to get a job at a top-rated hospital. On the other hand, my friend didnā€™t get a job because of a lack of practical skills.

Moreover, part-time jobs or volunteer work helps people to explore various fields, as a result, it becomes easy for them to choose a career path. For example, my friend, Richa, worked at a financial firm during her summer holidays. She didnā€™t like to work there as she realized that she couldnā€™t deal with the terms used in that firm. As a result, she changed the field, and she volunteered at the dinosaur museum. At the end of the program, she decided to become a paleontologist because she was amazed and curious to learn more about dinosaurs.

In summary, it is very important to nurture young people at an early age by engaging them in some activities which help them in the future. Hence, in my opinion, some part-time or volunteering work gives them an idea about what to expect in the future while doing a job and which field to choose as a career.

3 Likes

It is important to use free time wisely. In this competitive and stressful life, young people should focus on the activities they enjoy. The world is evolving so fast that people are trying to compete with each other; therefore, practical work experience in any field is necessary. Sometimes grades are not an important factor, but practical application is what people expect from the younger generation. In my opinion, young people between the ages of 14 and 18 should focus on gaining practical skills in a part-time job or by volunteering in the community, because this will help them find a job that matches their interests and allow them to decide which career path they want to take.

First and foremost, sometimes grades are not the only factor in getting a job, but practical skills are a deciding factor in whether someone gets a job. Companies expect the young generation to have extensive practical experience. Therefore, it is easier to find a job with additional practical knowledge. For example, I always wanted to be a doctor, so I volunteered at a charity hospital where people had to do several tasks to keep the business running. I learnt how to be presentable and attentive to do the assigned task. I learnt how to work in a chaos with full responsibility, which helped me get a job in a top-notch hospital. On the other hand, my friend did not get a job due to lack of practical skills.

Also, part-time jobs or volunteering help people explore different fields, making it easy for them to choose a career path. For example, my friend Richa worked in a financial company during her summer holidays. She didnā€™t like the work there because she realised that she couldnā€™t cope with the terms they used. As a result, she changed fields and worked as a volunteer at the Dinosaur Museum. At the end of the programme, she decided to become a palaeontologist because she was amazed and curious to learn more about dinosaurs.

In conclusion, it is very important to encourage young people at a young age by involving them in activities that will help them in the future. In my opinion, part-time employment or volunteering gives them an idea of what to expect in the future when pursuing a career and what field they should choose as a profession.

3 Likes

Few minutes ago, I wrote spear instead of spare. What a mistake!

3 Likes

for TOEFL exam?

Fun with Englishā€¦

Spear and spare donā€™t rhyme.

Take away the ā€˜Sā€™ of each and you have:
Pear and Pare - now they rhyme and are homonyms.
You can even pare a pear.

Now take away the last letter and you have:
Pea and Par - once again they donā€™t rhyme.

Iā€™m glad Iā€™m a native speaker because this kind if thing would drive me nuts learning it as a foreign language.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for replying to me. Excuse me, l do not understand. What do you mean?

2 Likes

I was playing games with English words. It doesnā€™t have anything to do with your remark. I was just rambling.

Itā€™s about how inconsistent the language is. The same vowels can have several different pronunciations, depending on the word and consonant.

For example the ā€œeaā€ in spear, pear and pea have three different pronunciations.

Another example is ā€œoughā€. It has seven different pronunciations - some people claim it has an many as ten different pronunciations.

3 Likes

Thank you very much. I can now understand what you mean.

2 Likes