Some young adults want independence from their parents as soon as possible. Other young adults prefer to live with their families for a longer time. Which of these situations do you think is better?

Independence from parents or living with them for longer time, the decision is subjective as per my opinion. The choice that is better depends upon manifold factors like, relationship with parents, career goals, personal preference, financial conditions, cultural and social structure.
In countries like India and some other Asian cultures, it is considered ethical and virtuous to live with parents and in some cases, joint families. So in those cultures, people consider living with family as better.The social norm and ethics control and shape the perception and decides what is better. In fact, many Asian nations consider western cultures as to lacking family values and ethics and morals because of the higher number of people breaking away from their families and living alone. In countries where living away from family is considered a sign of independence, maturity and self sufficiency, tends to motivate people to move out early.
The other factor that influences the decision of living with parents or moving out to live independently, is the economic and financial structure, both at individual family level and as a common overall trend in the country or culture. For example, in the western nations, majority of people tend to move out to cities to get jobs and live on their own. This is because, the cost of living in those countries does not fav ours living in a big family. It is more affordable living on your own than having many other dependent family members. Hence independence from parents is better a decision. On the other hand, families with hereditary family business tend to live together, as they can afford it and is favorable to the business as well. In countries like India, joint families do better as buying a house is costly so living out alone can be more expensive. Hence people find it wiser to stay with family than to move out and buy their own houses.
Familial bonds and relationship with parents also plays a considerable role. Young adults more emotionally attached to their family and parents are reluctant to leave them. In contrast, people with less emotional connection with parents will tend to have more individualistic perspective when it comes to choice of living. so I would say, it is better to live with parents if an individual has emotional attachment to them, because living away may cause feeling of homesick, loneliness and in worse case, depression and other mental stress. Having someone around who has always been an emotional support to me, will be a better option for me to choose than to live away from them and feel homesick and alone. To people who want to feel more achieved, independent and self sufficient, it is a better choice to move out.
So in conclusion, I have an ambivalent opinion on this topic. The advantage of one choice over other is subjective and varies as per situation and need.

2 Likes

Independence from parents or living with them for longer - the decision is subjective, in my opinion. Which choice is the better one depends on many factors, such as relationship with parents, career goals, personal preferences, financial conditions, and cultural and social structure.
In countries such as India and some other Asian cultures, it is considered ethical and virtuous to live with parents, and in some cases, in a joint family. In these cultures, living in the family is seen as better, with social norms and ethics controlling and shaping perceptions and deciding what is better. Many Asian countries believe that Western cultures lack family values, ethics, and morals because more and more people are separating from their families and living alone. In countries where living outside the family is considered a sign of independence, maturity and self-reliance, people are more motivated to move out early.
Another factor that influences the decision to live with parents or move out to live independently is the economic and financial structure, both at the level of the individual family and as a general trend in a country or culture. In Western countries, for example, most people move to cities to find work and live on their own. The reason is that the cost of living in these countries does not favor living with a large family. It is more affordable to live alone than to have many other dependent family members. Therefore, independence from parents is a better choice. On the other hand, families with an inherited family business tend to live together because they can afford it and it is also beneficial for the business. In countries like India, joint families do better because buying a house is very expensive, so it can be more expensive to live alone. Therefore, people think it is wiser to stay with the family than to move out and buy their own house.
Family ties and relationships with parents also play an important role. Young adults who have a stronger emotional bond with their family and parents are reluctant to leave. So I would say that if a person has an emotional attachment to their parents, it is better to live with them because moving away can lead to homesickness, loneliness, and in the worst cases, depression and other psychological distress. Having someone close by who has always been an emotional support to me is a better choice for me than living apart from them and being homesick and lonely. For people who want to feel more successful, independent and self-sufficient, moving out is a better choice.
So, in summary, I have a conflicting opinion on this topic. The advantage of one choice over another is subjective and varies depending on the situation and need.

1 Like