Some useful English phrases

Hi everyone!
Do you think its going to be a fun if we try to tell each other some proverbs, idioms, funny phrases in order just to enrich the vocabulary and the speech. Do you know any phrases? Can you share them? Ill be the first then.

1. never swap horses while crossing the stream. Did you know that? That means-you shouldn`t do some great changes at some unsuitable time.
    example: I think you have to wait a bit with changing this apartment! Never swamp horses while crossing the stream!
  2. to be at one`s moms-to be a newbie (like me at this forum) :lol:
  3. one cannot put back the clock-you cant return back back everything thats passed.
    Do you like it??? Do you know anything interesting?? Pease, don`t be silent, share you knowledge with others!!! :stuck_out_tongue:
1 Like

Dear Jailbird,

Where did you learn these idioms and phrases? At university? If so your teachers are really worth their salt. Do you know that one?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Loading the car[YSaerTTEW443543]

to be really worth your salt …

do you know that in former ages salt was equal to gold? because it was very difficult to make it from seawater or to dig for it in salt mines … it was very expensive! such as gold.

here’s mine:

Birds of a feather flock together.

1 Like

Hi Torsten :))
I learned them at school. But at my university we are taught other different idioms so I know some more interesting :))

1 Like

Hi Jailbird,

Please do share your favourite idioms with us :)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A lemonade stand[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thanks for taking part :)) Still, could you please explain yours to me???

And now something fresh for today :))

1. to let the grass grow under one`s feet-it seems you know this one, but still, I like it.
  2. a/the fly in the ointment-some difficulties that spoil some good & pleasant conditions making the enjoyment just impossible
  3. couch potato-someone who spends a lot of time sitting in front of the TV-screen (any couch-potatoes here???)
    4.hand over fist-enough or even more then enough
  4. slower than molasses in January-very, very slow!
  5. that accounts for the milk in the coconut-means that now everything is clear enough :))

Hi Jailbird,

I’m quite impressed. You said earlier that you had learned some of your idioms at school. I think you already mentioned it but I’d like to ask again - when did you start learning English?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: An evening outdoors[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten!
Well, in fact I started learning when I was 5 years old. But that wasn`t serious. So, I prefer to say, that I started learning when I was 6 years old when I just started school. :))

What do you want to do after university?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A produce cart[YSaerTTEW443543]

Im thinking about it myself :)) First, Ill have to work for 3 years at school or maybe at the university or somewhere else teaching English. And then Ill be free. Well, I think Ill stay at school for some years but then Id like to do something like tutoring. Maybe Ill become an interpreter. I haven`t decided yet :))

I read that the economic growth rate in Russia is about 7% which means that your economy must be booming. Would you say Moscow is an international city? When you walk through the centre do you hear people speak other languages than Russian?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Selling outside[YSaerTTEW443543]

Speaking frankly, I meet some people who speak English, German, French and other languages. I remember one episode from my life, when I lost myself in the centre of Moscow searching for an unknown street & I needed a map. So I saw two Englishmen walking towards me with a map !!! I didnt hesitate & jsut ran up to them & talked to them :)) I was proud of myself though I didnt find the street in the map :)) It`s nice that some foregners come here to live. One day I found that there lives an Afro-American living in the house next to mine!!! It was so exciting! Later I met him and we became a kind of good friends :))

So, Moscow is a truly international place. What about your university. Where do the students come from? Is there an international students club? What kind of summer activities are you pursuing?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: On the treadmill[YSaerTTEW443543]

two people having similar interests or acting alikely will find together.

Unfortunately, my university is a simple Teacher Training university for Moscow :((( However, theres a n English club in Moscow and some of our students take part in it & as far as I know therere some students from other countries there either. I dont take part in it for its too far from my house :))

Thank you very much :))) Do you know anything else???

it’s the same with jokes: when you hear them you laugh and think " that one will stay in my brains forever" a week later you’ve forgotten them.

Hey people!!!
Why are so silent??? Ive created this topic fully for all of you!!! Maybe, you dont like the idea… :(( Just tell me whether youre interested in it & you like it.... Or I wont spend my time trying to pull something out from my mind!!!

Dear Jailbird,

Please do continue sharing your ideas with us on the forum - that’s great. As for most people “being silent” - the statists say that the forum is opened and read almost 1000 times per day! This means people ARE interested in your messages but only a few are capable of contributing.
However, it’s a question of time until our forum gets very busy: Google indexes every new message and this means that more and more people will arrive at the forum and spread the word. Stick with it for at least 3 months and we will see some serious results - you can take my word for it.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A warehouse[YSaerTTEW443543]