Some people are born lucky vs. Some people were born lucky

Hi,

Some people are born lucky.

Why not “… were born lucky”?

Cheerio :slight_smile:

Because the statement usually refers to people who are living now.

OK, Bev. Anyway, I was born in Siracusa, and I’m alive! :wink:

Yes, but you are not still being born in Siracusa, whereas assuming you are one of those people who are born lucky, you would still be lucky now!

I give up. :wink:

Thanks a lot.

Oh, an echo.

[color=blue]What echo? “it doesn’t refer to the time of birth” is not at all similar to “Because the statement usually refers to people who are living now.” Get serious!

I really didn’t expect to have to explain that I wasn’t talking about you echoing yourself.

[color=blue]How clueless are you??

I really hope that I’ll be able to have an argument with Bev, one day or other. That would mean that my English is pretty good! – I’m kidding, obviously. :wink:

For what it’s worth, “some people were born lucky” gets more Google hits than “some people are born lucky”. To me, either one sounds ok.

When we say ‘some people were born lucky’ we mean those few who have ‘taken birth’ (so to say) and become lucky in the past. When we say ‘some people are born lucky’, it is a general statement of all-time fact (as rightly explained by Canadian), as we find in: Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

If I may add a comment, which isn’t an echo! ‘Are born’ ‘were born’ - clearly differ in tense but the important thing is when you use it. If I am standing next to someone who tells me that they have just won the lottery, I say: Some (people) are born lucky.

Yes, Alan, very much.