Some more questions from 'The Jungle Book'

Hi,

Could you please help me out with:

1. Does ‘grow’ in had grown in the night mean ‘become bigger’?
  2. Why ‘More trees stood in the middle of it’ NOW? Is it because Little Toomai couldn’t have noticed them in the dark night?
  1. Does the ‘nerves’ refer to ‘courage’? If so, why? What is the relationship between courage and other things described here?
  1. Could this sentence be paraphrased as: Machua Appa believed at once what had been done there needing neither to look twice at the clearing nor to scratch with his toe in the packed, rammed earth.?
  1. Does ‘red light of the logs’ suggest they were still blazing even though the flames had died down?
  2. Does ‘a made road’ mean a man-made road? If so, why?

Many thanks in advance.

Haihao

1. Does ‘grow’ in had grown in the night mean ‘become bigger’? – Yes, larger in circumference.

2. Why ‘More trees stood in the middle of it’ NOW? Is it because Little Toomai couldn’t have noticed them in the dark night? – I suppose so (actually, I have forgotten ‘Toomai of the Elephants’).

3. Does the ‘nerves’ refer to ‘courage’? If so, why? What is the relationship between courage and other things described here? – Simply, children are brash, candid and straightforward. It’s not courage; it’s lack of self-consciousness or hesitation. I don’t know what else may apply here.

4. Could this sentence be paraphrased as: Machua Appa believed at once what had been done there needing neither to look twice at the clearing nor to scratch with his toe in the packed, rammed earth.? – Yes

5. Does ‘red light of the logs’ suggest they were still blazing even though the flames had died down? – Not blazing; glowing.

6. Does ‘a made road’ mean a man-made road? If so, why? - Yes. ‘Why’ what?-- what don’t you understand?