Some more questions from 'The Jungle Book'

Hi,

I have come across some difficulties again. Could you please help me out with:

1. Does ‘What a cub’s cub it is!’ imply Mowgli’s contempt for Shere Khan?

2. Does ‘he thinks that I shall wait till he has slept!’ mean 'he is so foolish as to think that I will delay my charge until he falls asleep!"

1. Does ladies’-chain fashion have something to do with ladies’-chain family or some dance?

2. I guess ‘which’ refers to ‘the herd’. If so, why not ‘snorted and threw up their heads’? Or does ‘its head’ here have a collective meaning?

1. Does this mean ‘A snap is more than enough to make the bulls charge’?
  1. Does ‘the bed’ mean ‘the bottom of a stream’? If so, how and why should they (the herd) get there?
  1. Does it suggest a harsh (narrow) rencounter (cut) began (rang)?

Thank you so very much in advance.

Haihao

1. Does ‘What a cub’s cub it is!’ imply Mowgli’s contempt for Shere Khan? – Yes: a cub’s cub = a very foolish baby.

2. Does ‘he thinks that I shall wait till he has slept!’ mean 'he is so foolish as to think that I will delay my charge until he falls asleep!" – No: until he has rested and digested and awakened refreshed.

3. Does ladies’-chain fashion have something to do with ladies’-chain family or some dance? – I think it means that the two wolves ran a chain-link sort of path, crossing and recrossing each other’s trail, to divide the herd. I am not sure, though.

4. I guess ‘which’ refers to ‘the herd’. If so, why not ‘snorted and threw up their heads’? Or does ‘its head’ here have a collective meaning? – Yes, I think that is Kipling’s intention-- to represent the herd as a single entity.

5. Does this mean ‘A snap is more than enough to make the bulls charge’? – No; it is a fine line between enough snaps to control the bulls and too many snaps, which will cause them to charge.

6. Does ‘the bed’ mean ‘the bottom of a stream’? If so, how and why should they (the herd) get there? – I suppose they went down to drink, if there is a stream at the bottom (bed) of the ravine; otherwise, they just went down to cool off in the shade or eat succulents or something.

7. Does it suggest a harsh (narrow) rencounter (cut) began (rang)? – The cut is the ravine: the ravine echoed (rang) with their bellowing sounds.

Hi Mr Micawber,

Thank you so very much again. This ‘children’s book’ is REALLY interesting! Quite difficult, though, for me, a grown-up! :oops:

Haihao

Childrens’ books are one of the best ways to acquire basic (and often not so basic), everyday vocabulary. They can also provide a good insight into the natural speech forms of a language.

PS: It’s really nice to meet you ‘in picture’, Haihao – thank you for it!

I agree with Conchita. I learnt a different usage of ‘maggot’ from “Matilda” by Roald Dahl.He he.

p/s: nice to meet you Haihao. You look so familiar.Have we met before?I doubt it though.Maybe it’s just my ‘ki no sei’.

Nice to see you, Haihao-- now I know who I am talking to-- it is quite helpful.

PS: I have never considered the Jungle Book a children’s book-- it is for all ages. I can’t wait until you get to Rikki-tikki-tavi!

Always my pleasure meeting you all! I am sorry for the delay of my picture. It really ‘cost’ me some courage to ‘publish’ it. :slight_smile:

I always appreciate your kind help and company, Conchita, and many times I wished I could tell you that one of my most favorite food is paella and one of my most favorite books is Don Quixote.

Humm…, I am sorry but I can’t remember if we met before, Nina. But I am happy we are meeting here! :smiley:

I can’t wait too, Mr. Micawber, until I have gotten a whole picture for the book. Thank you very much again for your precious help with my endless questions. Sometimes I really feel uneasy to ‘lay on’ so many questions.

Thank you all again.

Haihao