Some like it hot

Are you someone who loves constant sunshine every day without interruption? I don’t. How about you?

Alan

2 Likes

I like sunshine all the time and would love to live in a place where the sun is always shining.:sun_with_face:

1 Like

How about the equator? The sun is the God it means without it the life is impossible but when it is too hot is unbearable. Have a nice day.

2 Likes

Out of the countries near the equator The Malidives would be my favourite but I wouldn’t want to stay there all the time. What about you, Kolev? What is your favourite country?

1 Like

I am sure that the sun is beneficial and of course it is essential for life in its different forms. The trouble is that in the UK non-stop sunshine is very unusual and over the last few weeks it has just been going on and on and for someone like me it is just too much!

Alan

2 Likes

Alan, you should come to Volgograd in the summer months, we have around 40 degrees all day every day :-).

1 Like

Thank God we don’t have 40 deg every day here in Timisoara.
Our normal summer days are between 28-35 C, but there are always periods with over-hot temperatures, up to 40- 42 C.
I wonder how could I resist last summer an entire day visiting Madrid at 47 C. At 6 p.m. it was 42 that day.
Definitly, I love hot summer days as summer is my favorite season, but not with 40 day after day for a week.
If possible, I just ask for a break, then the hot-heat can start again, I don’t mind :smiley:

2 Likes

i like sunshine. I don’t like rainny day, make me depressed

2 Likes

Hello :slight_smile: As for me two weeks ago it was hot and I wanted it cool, now it`s foggy but I want it hot. And by the way today July 17 “World Emoji Day” Have a nice day, Alan!

2 Likes

Thank you, Dina. How are your school pupils behaving?

Alan

3 Likes

Good morning Alan, those whom I taught entered the Universities ) Now I explain adults how to work with computers and they are like pupils ) I found that people are young while they are learning.Also I am making my first steps in programming, What about your pupils or students I ve read you have a great experience. Tell about your pupils what are they doing now? Are some becoming writers and professors like you?

Sincerely yours,
Yana

2 Likes

Oh Yana!! My pupils/students have obviously moved on and I have no idea what they are up to. You have to remember that I have now been retired for 25 years and that’s a long time and I am now very ancient!

Alan

2 Likes

Ancient are Paton and Aristotel you are too young, Alan ) you and Torsten have lots of on-line pupils nearly 50 000 subscribes at the site english.best. it`s 3 times more than in Cambridge!

2 Likes

An interesting material related to the recent heat wave:

3 Likes

My favorite country is Switzerland.I have been there several times.Once i pretended to be even a student during 1999-2000 in Le Locle.It is very nice country and during the summer temperature does not exceed 33 degrees. My favorite lake is Neuchâtel.

3 Likes

Hi Alan, I’m afraid global warming is real and not a hoax as the guy in the White House keeps saying. This summer might be as hot if not hotter than last year’s. The amount of carbon dioxide and methane we have been spewing out and throwing up into the atmosphere has been enormous over the past decades. Last summer the forest in Sweden was burning for weeks and nobody was able to get it under control.

At some point the Italian sent just plane up north as a symbolic act of solidarity. The Germans were struggling with their own wildfires which they couldn’t get under control for weeks too. As a result of last year’s 9 month long drought our woods are in dire shape the the trees are being eaten way of an ever growing army of bark beetles.

What do you think will this summer be like and the next summers to come?

2 Likes

Hi Torsten,

Yes, I do believe that we shall be in for another sweltering summer. There are early indications already in April that things are hotting up where I live. Weather forecasters on TV have that smug look on their faces as they announce that temperatures are above normal. You’d think the way they speak that they are the ones who are arranging the climate for us. And this imminent heat leads me to reflect on the number of expressions in English there are that are associated with a rise and fall in temperature.

Various groups particularly here in London are getting hot under the collar (getting angry) about the Government not doing enough to control climate change. Heated (lively) debates are taking place about whether we should continue to drive our cars in cities. There are several groups of what you might call ‘hotheads’ (rebels) who are organising protests under the slogan ‘Climate Extinction’ by blocking roads and bridges in central London causing chaos for people trying to get to work. The police are trying to stay cool (calm) and have arrested a few hundred of them. Unfortunately they are running out of cells to house them. Of course these protestors are getting warm (friendly) support for their action from sympathisers. Others on the other hand who are prevented from getting to where they want are giving them the cold shoulder (ignoring them). Of course it makes a change to hear about climate age instead of Brexit. Now that’s a topic that people blow hot and cold about (can’t make up their minds about).

3 Likes

Hi Alan, thanks for creating this colourful response with all those cool/warm/hot idioms and expressions. As for Extinction Rebellion – they have gained momentum and started taking action in several countries because various forms of civil disobedience are needed to save our planet.

2 Likes

Our Earth is the only planet in the whole solar system with blue skies, green forests beautiful flowers and rivers. Unfortunately dust heat fire make it more and more like Venus Pluto Mars. People who doesn’t care the climate why not to try to spend vacation in other planet? Let it be not the vocation but 5 seconds at first, maybe it will help to understand the true values, and treasures which our planet has. That they are not diamonds, cars, money but oxygen flowers birds are treasures which can’t be found in millions solar years around.

3 Likes

Interestingly enough we had a similar discussion way back in June 2006 titled Are you under the weather?

1 Like