So you are in fact in the dark about

Hello,
according to the paragraph, does the bold part mean “so you are in fact in the dark about the ballerinas digging up the locked cabinet in the dark, even though you are not in the dark about being in the darkness/or being in the night”? it confused me.
I am so sorry that I am quoting the whole context.

The phrase “in the dark,” as I’m sure you know, can refer not only to one’s shadowy surroundings, but also to the shadowy secrets of which one might be unaware. Every day, the sun goes down over all these secrets, and so everyone is in the dark in one way or another. If you are sunbathing in a park, for instance, but you do not know that a locked cabinet is buried fifty feet beneath your blanket, then you are in the dark even though you are not actually in the dark, whereas if you are on a midnight hike, knowing full well that several ballerinas are following close behind you, then you are not in the dark even if you are in fact in the dark. Of course, it is quite possible to be in the dark in the dark, as well as to be not in the dark not in the dark, but there are so many secrets in the world that it is likely that you are always in the dark about one thing or another, whether you are in the dark in the dark or in the dark not in the dark, although the sun can go down so quickly that you may be in the dark about being in the dark in the dark, only to look around and find yourself no longer in the dark about being in the dark in the dark, but in the dark in the dark nonetheless, not only because of the dark, but because of the ballerinas in the dark, who are not in the dark about the dark, but also not in the dark about the locked cabinet, and you may be in the dark about the ballerinas digging up the locked cabinet in the dark, even though you are no longer in the dark about being in the dark, and so you are in fact in the dark about being in the dark, even though you are not in the dark about being in the dark, and so you may fall into the hole that the ballerinas have dug, which is dark, in the dark, and in the park.

2 Likes

It’s a play on words. “To be in the dark about something” means not knowing about something/not having access to information about something.

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you so much Torsten.
but I am still confused. Is my understanding of that part correct? : “so you are in fact not know about the ballerinas digging up the locked cabinet in the dark, even though you know about being in the darkness/ being in the night”
The first “in the dark” and the second “in the dark” confused me: “so you are in fact in the dark about being in the dark, even though you are not in the dark about being in the dark.”

2 Likes

It’s a play on words. To be in the dark can have a literal meaning when you refer to somebody who is sitting in a dark room for example. It can also have a secondary metaphorical or idiomatic meaning. Finding out which of the two meanings the author intends in which context is not so much a question of how well you understand English but rather a question of interpretation and comprehension.

2 Likes