So many hads?

Dear Amy

I just read that once you suggested that the given sentence could be correct if punctuated rightly!Is it so?

1- " John while James had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher! "

Please give me some details

Tom

A silly exercise, Tom. However, if you google ‘had had had had had’, you will find some answers, as well as some other similar sillinesses.

Hi Tom

As Mr. Micawber said, that collection of “hads” should not be taken seriously.

I wrote that in a thread when I was joking around with Michael (the Arabian Horses Fan).

But, it is true that you can find the solution using Google. Along with a couple of variations. :lol:

Amy

Oops. No toes meant to be stepped on, Yank.

Hi Mr. M

No toe damage at all. I just wanted to verify what you’d said for Tom. :lol:

Amy

When I was in elementary school, a teacher gave us a variation of that exercise: “Where had had had had had had had had had had had had had the teacher’s approval.”

We were supposed to capitalize and punctuate the “sentence” properly. Of course no one – including my school teacher mother – was able to do it, because it involved a character named “Had” and a character named “Had Had”. Who would have guessed that? When I showed my mother the teacher’s answer, she said, “Oh. Well, you didn’t tell me the story had Lebanese people in it!” (The Arabic name Haddad is rather common in our neighborhood.)

I still think of this as the most despicable waste of time any teacher ever forced on us. Who in the world is going to guess that there could possibly be people named “Had” and “Had Had”!