So I took the GRE today

hey can anybody give me a list of the most frequent bridges that appear with analogies on the GRE ???
thanks
:smiley:

abhi,

go to ms. prachi’s blog and look up a document that lists the various types of bridges for analogies. I haven’t taken the test yet so I wouldn’t know of the ones that appear most freqeuently but the bridges on that list are the most commonly used on the test.

barron’s also has that list under its analogy section.

hope this helps!

Hi Angela,

How’s the move coming along? I hope you have managed to find an apt and are settling in well!

I know you may not be able to reply quickly but I have two analogy questions and would appreciate it if you could answer them whenever you get a chance.

1. calumny:aspersion
    ans choices:
    a. approbation:praise
    b. slander:mockery
    c.approval:criticism
    d. expectation:threat
    e. satire:lamentation

My bridge was that X is full of Y, or, Y is a DC of X. but, i don’t think its strong enough cuz with that bridge I end up with two possible answers a and b! Can you help me tweak it - well actually i am not even sure if my bridge is correct to begin with!

next,
2. imperious: fawn

is the bridge here - someone who is imperious will not fawn- so X will not do Y ?

thanks!

Suchi,

Hi there; still so very busy … no apt yet but likely to get a townhouse in the next few days. Will answer your queries when settled in so hope you can wait. How is the studying going?

going okay angela. hope u r able to get the townhouse soon!! good luck!

Angela/Dakini,
I’ve found your posts very helpful. Thank you. I am considering the tutor (Jay Cutts) that you recommended and am just wondering if you could let me know how he helped you beyond all the preparation you did yourself? I spoke with him on the phone today and am aware of what he is offering but would like to hear more of your thoughts.

Thank you!

gheffo

Hi everyone, after a long hiatus and madness with regard to moving from the East Coast to the West Coast I am finally back in business! I will slowly be responding to msgs here as well as private msgs so please bear with me! I haven’t forgotten about all of you and hope that studying has been going well for you!

Hi Suchi,

Wow, its been a long time, no? Have you had any headway w/ the analogies yet?

I think that calumny:aspersion (both nouns) have a relationship in that they are synonyms - I looked at the dictionary definition to ascertain this. If this is the case, then I would go w/ answer approbation:praise since they are also near synonyms. Slander and mockery to me are two different things especially when you consider the legal definition of slander. How does that sound to you? This was a tough one - had to think about it for a while.

Imperious:fawn – I think your bridge must be right.

I’ve forgotten, when are you taking your exam? Was it in October? My GRE Literature test is coming up in Nov. and I am SUPER nervous =)

Hi Neelshiv,

How are you? Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but as you may have noticed, I was moving from one coast to another!

I think your date of 24 Oct is just right if you want to aim for a fall '08 application. From what I have seen, if you apply to the West Coast, the deadlines will be in December, on the East Coast, they are generally in January. Please check with your schools/departments to be sure!

I hope that studying is going well with you and that the forum is helping you too! Take care!

Hey Gheffo, how are you? Nice to “see” a new “face”!

I am glad that my suggestions have helped you and I am also really happy to hear that you contacted Jay.

You probably saw from my posts before that I took a Kaplan course that I didn’t feel helped me much. What I felt it lacked was a detailed explanation of why answers were wrong. The instructors, IMO, are too “green” and often they can’t explain themselves in class well beyond what is printed in the text or in their teaching materials. Jay, on the other hand, went through each wrong answer with me to explain why I got them wrong. Not only this, but he tried to understand/figure out my thought processes so that he could provide me with advice specific to me! I honestly thought this was really helpful and his comments made me aware of what I as an individual should look out for in the test.

Without Jay I was scoring around 650 in verbal. I wanted a score of 700 to really impress the schools and I don’t think that without Jay I could have gotten 700 at the end of the day.

I hope this helps you decide whether or not to ask for his help. Please bear in mind, though, that I only asked him to help me on verbal cos quant for what I want to do is not important and that score doesn’t count in my field.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do for you.

Hi Dakini,

thanks a lot for your reply…yes i certainly noticed that you had been busy with shifting and all.

I want to know your opinion about grebible as recently I have read a lot of criticism about the the software. Some say that it often fails to work and assess properly.
Is it good, in your opinion, I mean.
And also please let me know which set of test you have found to be the most helpful one?

Hope your studies and works are going great.

Regards.

Hi neelshiv,

I have never used GREbible - the posts here about ppl being scammed were enough to scare me off. I only did the Kaplan stuff I got as well as the 10th ed. of the ETS official question book. I would strongly suggest that you work with the latter. For additional prep, please consider Ms Prachi’s blog and I saw last night that someone else in this forum have posted up recent quant threads too. Ms Prachi recommends doing Barron’s so if you haven’t done a course like I did and got questions from that source, I would say give Barron’s a try since some questions from there seemed to have popped up for some people on the actual test. Hope this helps!

Hello dakini!
Your great score impressed me a lot.
I have problems with the AW section because I’m trying to use different templates and I don’t exactly know what they (guys from ETS) really want to find in my essays. You mentioned that Kaplan book provides a universal template for this stuff. Please, provide me with the full title of this book.
Thank you.

Hi Konstantin,

The template that I got was from a course that I did w/ Kaplan. I can’t remember if Kaplan provides this template in their non-course textbooks. Unfortunately I already gave all my texts away to a friend so can’t check for you. Perhaps someone else on this forum will have the relevant book and be able to answer this question. If you are interested in a Kaplan book just take a look for their most recent edition.

Have you looked at the ETS website to find the information that you are looking for? From memory I think there is a downloadable file that tells you what they are looking for. If you are really concerned you may wish to consider making use of ETS offer to grade AW questions for a fee together with their comments before you take your GRE. Hope this helps.

hi dakini,
thank you for your reply. you have always been really helpful to everyone and anyone. I would like to congratulate you not only on your great score, but also on your way of helping us.

May I know where do you study, which univ I mean.

Can you please tell me which book has the toughest quant section?

Regards.

Hi Neelshiv,

No problem! I am always happy to help when I can.

To answer your question, I’m currently finishing up my Masters of Liberal Arts w/ a concentration in Foreign Literature at Harvard =) How about yourself? Where and what are you doing/studying currently? Where in the US are you looking to apply for in the near future?

Re quant questions … I think the hardest questions I encountered were the Kaplan questions I got from doing their course. I felt that the ETS 10th ed. math questions were quite easy but the ones I got on the actual test were much harder. Which books are you working w/ right now? According to my knowledge, Ms Prachi has some recent questions in her thread and also in her download section there are many different texts that you can try.

Anyway, I am really not the best person to talk to about quant since my score was a total fluke! I was so bad at math in high school and I am truly amazed that I got over 700 for it. Perhaps it was my state of mind in the test - I mean, I was thinking well, this quant doesn’t really matter for me so I’ll just take it easy and take whatever comes. Maybe that’s why I didn’t commit too many “silly mistakes” as is my habit.

Hope the above helps. Take care and good luck studying!

hi Dakini,

Well, about myself…I study in final year, Engineering in India. I badly need a perfect score in quant.

I attempted mock tests from 800score.com and scored decently. But I somehow felt the quant part was too easy. Can you please comment on the mock tests of 800score.com?

Hope you are doing pretty well :slight_smile:

Regards.

Hi Neelshiv,

I’ve never done the mocks from 800score.com because I found their interface too hard to read. However, I think doing more mocks will help you so I encourage you to try as much as you can in the time that you have.

Cheers!

Hi Dakini & all,

thanks for your help. I’m trying to give my best effort for GRE.

I received toefl IBT score today, it’s 114 / 120. Is it a good score or a mediocre one? See, they don’t publish the percentiles, so I’m asking.

Best wishes.

Hi Neelshiv,

No idea about the toefl at all. Sorry!