So I took the GRE today

Hi all, especially those who have helped me in the past!

Just wanted to let you know that I took the GRE today and got … Verbal - 700; Quantitative - 710. It was a really nerve-wracking experience but I’m glad I got through and also achieved the score that I wanted (700 Verbal). The only word I didn’t know on the antonyms was “ductability” but I figured it was something akin to duct tape and went with that.

What was surprising was my last Reading Comp was very very long and it also had 4 different points of view on the same thing in it. I’ve never seen something so complicated in my mock tests, but on reflection I guess it was an indication that I had already moved up to the high level questions. I was really lucky that the last reading comp (I had three total) was on art history and especially cubism/surrealism, both of which I love and know a fair bit about (my masters’ thesis was on surrealism) so I answered the questions without much difficulty even though I didn’t read the passage carefully.

The quantitative I thought was hard and I also thought I did poorly because I guessed about half the questions. (I don’t need a good quant score b/c I am applying for a literature PhD.) Anyways, I nearly had a panic where I thought I might get 400 for that, but thank goodness I didn’t cancel my score at the end!

What was surprising though was that I only got the following sections:

1. analytical writing
  2. verbal
  3. quant
  4. informed research section
    I thought there was one more hidden research section but it wasn’t like that for me! Has anyone had this experience before? Anyways, I’ve been told not to worry about that.

So I just wanted to share my experiences with you all, and to wish all of you that haven’t done the GRE yet the very best of luck! If I can help you with anything just drop me a message here. I’ll check every now and then though the next month will be hectic as I am moving cross-country. In any event, all the best to you all!

My congratulations! I wish you good luck in future. :smiley:

Hi Dakini,

First of all, I would like to congratulate you. You got a wonderful score especially in verbal. I am also preparing for GRE and I need your help. Can you please tell me that how should I prepare? I mean which books or material should I refer? I would appreciate your concern.

Once again congrats for your score.

Sugeni

Hi Sugeni!

Thanks for your kind words! To answer your question: I studied really hard for the Verbal and I used a no. of sources.

1. I took a Kaplan Course - not as helpful as I would like, but their minidictionary was helpful so I would suggest that you look to get their verbal materials from amazon - what they teach you in the courses are already in their materials for purchase. Please note, however, that I really wonder how much memorizing vocabulary lists help since I didn’t see a word I didn’t already know except for the one in my post. Also the vocab on the test was quite easy, and didn’t contain super obscure words like “prolix” (i.e. very wordy) that I expected to be there.

2. Buy the ETS preparation book fr. ETS’ own website. They have 7 tests in there, all useful and IMO these questions are structured/presented in the way you will see on your exam; I thought Kaplan’s questions were unduly hard and convoluted esp. re reading comp.

SUPER IMPORTANT POINT
3. go look on a thread in the forum that talks about questions repeating, and follow the link (the person who posted is called dynamite). The questions appeared in the exam as they did on the website. You’ll see what I mean when you check that particular blog out. It’s really useful. Also, if you join the yahoo group mentioned, you will get access to certain materials … before you BUY anything, check it out. Do everything in the blog, and it will give you LOADS of confidence. Trust me, it will.

1. Download the extra test and also the powerprep from the GRE website (DO NOT WAIT FOR THEM TO SEND IT TO YOU - I heard that someone got the powerprep in the mail the day of their exam and you don’t want that to happen to you). Use the extra test as your diagnostic; you can do the powerprep a couple of times too; even though the questions repeat, you will get new ones to practice on. I did each powerprep (total 2) twice each, giving me 4 tests in total. Oh yes, also do the tutorials on the powerprep; they have tips in the software as well).

How are you doing on the tests so far? if you need to increase your score substantially and don’t want to spend too much money on courses like Kaplan or Princeton, I can suggest a personal tutor whose techniques are great and can help you a lot!!!

When I finished Kaplan’s course I was not very confident at all. I was getting around 650 verbal (I really needed around 700 to impress the schools I want to get in); after my tutor, my highest score was 760 (untimed); 740 (timed). So you can see how it really is possible to improve your score (I studied a total of 2.5 months for the GRE).

I’m not really in a position to talk about the math except that I will say that I am horrible at it - no joke - I can’t even copy down numbers too well but look what someone like me managed to do with the Quant! Amazing. I nearly burst out laughing in the test centre when I saw my score. What I am trying to say is, if someone like me can get in the 700s for math, anyone can!

Good luck for your test though! If you put in the work, you will get the results, that’s my motto in life. I worked on the GRE everyday for around 3-4 hours to get the results I did - probably a bit much, but I’m a workaholic. Anyways, let’s talk more after you have looked at the materials I suggested above. Please feel free to keep dropping me a line here. I’ll be moving cross country soon so if I don’t respond right away, you’ll know what’s going on. I hope I have helped for now!

Thx Harry, for your kind words too!

Hi Dakini,

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply. It is really helpful to me. I am asking you a few questions again.

1. I do have Kaplan book and most of its word list I already know. I was thinking of taking kaplan’s course but it is too expensive. So, Can you tell me about the tutor you are talking about. I mean things like what are the charges and what is the teaching method? I will really appreciate that. I f you want to tell about personally then, you can send an e-mail at guptatoefl@gmail.com

2. Is the name of the book you are talking about from ETS website is “Practicing to Take the GRE General Test - 10th Edition”
    Are the tests in this book on CD or in book?

3. I checked the website told by dynamite. Its really amazing. I have already joined the group. However, I am planning to take my exam in October. So, I think they will update the website in October which will be helpful for me.

About my preparation, till now I just memorized the word list. I am not taking tests yet. However, I am worried about my exam particularly verbal section.

I appreciate that even though you are busy in the preparation of your cross country movement, you are still replying.

Thanks a lot,
Sugeni

Hi Sugeni,

Ok, no worries, here is the information:

1. check out my tutor’s home page cuttsreviews.com/jcutts/; plz tell him Angela recommended him - I think you may get a little discount. Are you based in the US or overseas? What will happen is you call him to chat - free of charge - you can ask him questions about him and his course, what he offers. Once you think it will be ok and you send him the fees, he will send you videotaped lectures and materials. If you have questions, you do telephone conferences with him.

2. the ETS book is the 10th Ed. as stated in your msg. It is 7 PAPER tests. There is no CD.

3. ahhh, you joined - excellent; go to the files link in the group and you will get lots of information there … I hope you take advantage of that before you buy anything. I spent waaaay too much on this test, probably around 2000 US. Jesus. If only I had found that website/group earlier. Do everything on the website because it is extra practice for you. If you have questions, let me know cos I did everything from April to May (analogies only). We can compare answers or something if you like.

I think you should do a diagnostic asap cos you know, you might not be as badly off as you think. Just do the diagnostic so you know where you stand, and where you need to improve. It should make you feel better.

Hope this helps!

Hi Dakini,

Thanks a lot for all the information.

I haven’t practiced anything yet on the yahoo group. However, I was looking for the 19 real tests on the files section but they were password protected. Can you please tell me how to get the password for those tests.

BTW, I will follow your suggestion and give a diagnostic test ASAP.

Thanks a lot,
Sugeni

Hey Sugeni,

For the password, ask on the Forum; since I signed up for a Kaplan course, I didn’t try those tests on the website. You might also look at the old posts, some people have given codes. For the diagnostic why don’t you try the ETS one here ets.org/Media/Tests/GRE/pdf/ … 20test.pdf while you are waiting. In case the link doesn’t work, just go to ets.org and follow the links to free prep material for the GRE general test. That’s where you get the powerprep materials too.

Good luck and tell me how you do, if you like!

Hey Dakini,

First off congratulations on getting such a fantastic score! I hope I will see those numbers as well:))!!

Second, I have to say you are amazingly helpful! I think it’s really nice of you.

I have a few questions related to some of your suggestions and will really appreciate it if you could please answer them…

First, I am wondering if you could give me a detailed insight in to your math prep, just the way you did for your verbal prep. It would be great if you could share info on the materials you used, how did you revise the sections, did you time your practice drills or not? Bascially, I want to know about your practice techniques for math. The reason why I am asking is because I am just as bad at math!!! ( though i have to say i think you must be better than me cuz i don’t see myself getting into the 700 range!!)

Second, about the website with the actual gre words and analogies (Prachi’s site), I couldn’t find the answers to the analogy questions listed under each month? Are they on the website?

Thank you so much in advance!! Hope your move is coming along well.

Hey Suchibansal! Fellow Bostonite!

Thanks for your congrats. I really hope that you can get a great score too and to that end, I’ll be happy to answer your questions.

Math Prep … first off, let me say that I studied REALLY hard in the beginning until my tutor told me that it really wasn’t necessary cos I am a literature person i.e. my schools will not require much more than 450. But here is what I did first:

1. I went through the math tutorial and exercises you can find on the ETS website (from downloads) and also bought a book called The Ultimate Math Refresher from Amazon and did almost all the questions there. This will help you remember those nasty concepts. I also made flashcards with the concepts on them, and studied them every other day.

2. I took a Kaplan course which taught me some tricks when doing the test. Tips:

• don’t calculate, estimate

• when comparing columns, make them look the same; (my tip) instead of doing complicated multiplications on QCs, factor everything and get rid of the same factor so at the end, the multiplication is much simpler e.g. say for an area of a rectangle problem
    A B
    6x81x99 8x36x121
    becomes 2x3x2x4x9x9x11 2x4x4x9x11x11
    then you just get rid of stuff that looks alike in each column, leaving you less to multiply out (you can estimate from here too)

• (my tip, again) on complicated +/-/x/division and the answer choices are numbers just do the minimum accurately (i.e. just the 1st 2 nos from the left) and see if you can get to the answer quickly w/o doing the whole sum

• pick nos to work w/

• work backwards fr. the answer choice starting fr. B and D (cos the no. choice will increase in value and you can estimate)

• read all the legends in the graphs

• write everything down, don’t try to do in your head

• draw diagrams, esp. copy diagrams down

• for triangles (ETS loves triangles) look at my post english-test.net/forum/ftopic19179.html

• the exponent rules and root rules are REALLY important too, so learn those

That’s all I can think of at the moment

VERBAL - I hope you have signed up for the yahoo group. There are no answers on the blog, but you should attempt them yourself and then come onto the group to ask questions. I will be happy to give you my take on the questions you have queries about.

When are you doing your GRE? How long have you prepared? How is your diagnostic, and what scores do you need? If you tell me these things maybe I could give you more specific advice when you need. I hope though, that this helps in the interim!

Take care! It’s back to PACKING for now … =)

Sorry, I meant first 2 numbers from the RIGHT (just woke up) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dakini,

As always you have been very helpful!!

I will make sure I follow ur math tips while practicing. I have joined the yahoo forum so i can post my answers & queries there. thanks for offering to help me with the queries too!

I am planning to take the test in sept. i have been preparing for the last one month… i took the GRE powerprep test as a diagnostic at the beginning of july and got a 710 on the verbal and 540 on the math. I am applying for a MPH - your school being my target school (!!!) (btw, i was just there last week meeting with some admission people!!) and i need to get a pretty balanced score on the test- a 650 on both atleast - but i know from some other mph students that more emphasis is given to the math score - yea- just my luck! so i need to raise the math score by atleast a 100 points…and 150 to be safe.

btw, i also took the kaplan course last year and didn’t find it very helpful except for learning those tricks that you mentioned. Kaplan is not that grt- right n sooo expensive??!!

Suchibansal,

No problems! Now that I know what you are up to I can say some more stuff to help you hopefully =)

1. The Powerprep (“PP”) is supposed to be a real good indication of what you’re going to get in the GRE. My highest score was 740 for verbal on the PP but you know I only got 650 on it for Quant! On the actual GRE, I thought the math was HARD. Seriously, I had no idea about many of the questions but I must have gotten at least the first 10 right to get a good score. It got to a point where I was like, which of the answer choices is the most aesthetically pleasing? I even asked myself, I wonder when they’ll give me a question I know how to do? This is why I thought maybe I was doing poorly, but that’s not the case. So if the same thing happens to you, you’ll know you’re doing real well =)

2. IMO Kaplan is NOT USEFUL for quant. Even though I am poor at math - I really truly am (the GRE score lies!) - I thought the Kaplan math classes were so easy. I wound up doing all the homework in the workbook while the proctor was speaking each math section and left early each time I was so bored. However, the materials that you get from Kaplan I think is useful. So if you do ALL the questions, I am sure it will give you not only practice but confidence!

3. the yahoo group has quant stuff too; don’t forget to check out the downloads page; you can get lots of practice materials there from lots of different sources.

4. the only downside to the yahoo group is that ppl generally rely on Ms Prachi (the owner/moderator/whatchamacallit) to answer questions. This is a pity, IMO, so which is why I try to stimulate discussion w/ others. Ms Prachi is busy moving anyways, so she doesn’t have a lot of time at the moment, it seems. In any event, now that the GRE is over, I find answering questions about it quite fun (?!?)!

Your verbal score is PHENOMENAL … it took me 2 months to get my verbal score up from 590 to 700. Math is much easier to improve on, and all you really need is practice. Oh you are aiming for my school - that’s wonderful! I don’t know much about your department, but I am sure it will be just as great as what I have experienced with the different literature depts. there. I’m really going to miss my professors (and Widener Library), but since my boyfriend is going to move to LA for a job and I don’t want to be stuck here by myself, I am going w/ him =).

Oh one final word, save the other PP for last! You’ll want to do this a few days before your exam (you have plenty of time to get the math score up, btw, just work 5-6 days a week for this month, a little at a time so you don’t burn out). There are other CATS on the yahoo group downloads page you can do in the meantime if you are worried about timing.

Hmm, that’s it for now. Isn’t it a nice day outside? Time for lunch! Take care and good luck!

PS. pls don’t hesitate to contact me if you want more info, or just want to complain about the inanity of the test, or anything else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dakini,

As always you have been very helpful!!

I will make sure I follow ur math tips while practicing. I have joined the yahoo forum so i can post my answers & queries there. thanks for offering to help me with the queries too!

I am planning to take the test in sept. i have been preparing for the last one month… i took the GRE powerprep test as a diagnostic at the beginning of july and got a 710 on the verbal and 540 on the math. I am applying for a MPH - your school being my target school (!!!) (btw, i was just there last week meeting with some admission people!!) and i need to get a pretty balanced score on the test- a 650 on both atleast - but i know from some other mph students that more emphasis is given to the math score - yea- just my luck! so i need to raise the math score by atleast a 100 points…and 150 to be safe.

btw, i also took the kaplan course last year and didn’t find it very helpful except for learning those tricks that you mentioned. Kaplan is not that grt- right n sooo expensive??!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Okay, so now i am going to get down to using your tips and the internet resources you mentioned!

will def. keep in touch.

hope u enjoy the rest of the day!

Hi Dakini,

I took the diagnostic exam and it didn’t go very well. I got 400 in verbal and 600 in quant.
Can you help me what should I do? Also, I was practicing the analogies from the blog. You told me that I can compare those with you. Do you have solutions or bridges with you? Should I post bridge between analogies so that we can compare.

Hey Suchi bansal, As you mentioned you are also preparing for the analogies in the blog. If you like can we compare that with each other, I think it will be helpful for both of us.

Thanks,
Sugeni

Hi Sugeni,

I am happy to compare notes on anlaogies with you but to be honest, I haven’t started working on the website stuff yet. I am focussing a bit more on the math but, i will def. work on them next week. will post my answers asap.

In the meantime, please do post your answers- it will motivate me to get to the analogies more quickly!

thanks!

Hi Sugeni,

I am happy to compare notes on anlaogies with you but to be honest, I haven’t started working on the website stuff yet. I am focussing a bit more on the math but, i will def. work on them next week. will post my answers asap.

In the meantime, please do post your answers- it will motivate me to get to the analogies more quickly!

thanks!

Hi Sugeni,

thanks!