So great is the importance of friendship that we all want to choose a good person to make friends with

Good afternoon Kitos, thank you very much for your help.

What do you want most in a friend-someone who is intelligent, or someone who has a sense of humor, or someone who is reliable? which one of these characteristics is most important to you?

Friends are an indispensable part in everyone’ life. We share our joy and sorrow with friends, we go through good and bad times together with friends, or just spend most of our time hanging out with friends, doing nothing. So great the importance of friendship is to us that we all want to choose  a good person to make friend with. Among many characteristics which make an ideal friend, reliability, in my opinion, is the foremost one.

Actually, reliability lays foundation for all kinds of relationships, especially friendship. There are many secrets that we never dare to tell anyone, even parents or siblings. But we cannot let them prey on our minds for a long time, so we need a trusted friend to wear out hearts out, to help us get out of depression. Having a trustworthy  friend, we can totally count on her to keep mum. There is no need for us to be afraid of being betrayed or made fun of with our troubles. A reliable friend not only listens to us with sympathy but also gives us lots of useful advice. Whereas, some people show us what we should do simply with the view to placing us on the wrong track. Our dependable friend, conversely, does only things that make us better. Even if she is unable to help, she always sticks up for us in the worst conditions, never leaves us alone, not like those who come to us just the moment we [u]stand in good light

[/u] ( I don’t remember exactly the expression, I just know that I ever read it, I meant ‘there are those who want to be with us because we are successful’, can you replace this by another expression? )

Second,  as long as a person is trustworthy, no matter she has a high IQ and a good sense of humour or not, she is definitely a very good friend. There is a saying that “ a friend is the one who knows you and loves you just the same”.  So we should not demand too much for having a good friend. We need to value and treasure our friend even though she is not so much intelligent or not always humorous. Our trusted friend, she may not have an agile mind  which is full of great ideas, but she will try her utmost to come up with the best solutions to help us out; she may be not so funny, but she always knows how to make us smile, to calm and comfort us in time of our frustration. A reliable friend can brighten up our days as much as any entertainers can do.

In a word, we can completely rely on our trusted friend to share our deepest feelings, to search for help, and to enjoy happy moments that she brings into our lives. Hence, I consider a reliable friend is my best choice.

TOEFL listening discussions: An assistant lecturer talking to a new student

1 Like

Good afternoon Kitos, thank you very much for your help.

What do you want most in a friend-someone who is intelligent, or someone who has a sense of humor, or someone who is reliable? which one of these characteristics is most important to you?

Friends are an indispensable part in everyone’ life. We share our joys and sorrows with friends, we go through good and bad times together with friends, or just spend most of our time hanging out with friends, doing nothing. So great is the importance of friendship that we all want to choose a good person to make friends with. Among many characteristics which make an ideal friend, reliability, in my opinion, is the foremost one.

Actually, reliability lays the foundation for all kinds of relationships, especially friendship. 

There are many secrets that we never dare to share with anyone, even parents or siblings, but we cannot let them prey on our minds for a long time, so we need a trusted friend to whom we can unburden our hearts and help bring us out of depression. Having a trustworthy friend, we can totally count on her to keep mum. There is no need for us to be afraid of being betrayed or made fun of regarding our troubles. A reliable friend not only listens to us with sympathy, but also gives us lots of useful advice. Whereas, some people show us what we should do simply with the intention of placing us on the wrong track. Conversely, our dependable friend does only things that make us feel better. Even if she is unable to help, she always sticks up for us in the worst conditions, never leaves us alone, not like those who stand beside us only when we are in the limelight.

Second, as long as a person is trustworthy, no matter she has a high IQ and a good sense of humour or not, she is definitely a very good friend. There is a saying that “ a friend is the one who knows all about you, and loves you just the same”. So we should not demand too much for having a good friend. We need to value and treasure this particular friend, even though she is not so very intelligent, or not always humorous. Our trusted friend may not have an agile mind which is full of great ideas, but she will try her utmost to come up with the best solutions to help us out; she may be not so funny, but she always knows how to make us smile, to calm and comfort us in our time of  frustration. A reliable friend can brighten up our days as much as any entertainer can do.

In a word, we can completely rely on our trusted friend to share our deepest feelings, to always lend a helping hand, and to enjoy the happy moments that she brings into our lives. Hence, I consider a reliable friend as my best choice.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good morning Richard. A very touching essay. Thank you.

Kitos. 8.5/10

1 Like

Thank you a lot Kitos,

Friends are an indispensable part in everyone’ life. We share our joyS and sorrowS with friends, we go through good and bad times together with friends, or just spend most of our time hanging out with friends, doing nothing. So great IS the importance of friendship [is] to us that we all want to choose a good person to make friend with. Among many characteristics which make an ideal friend, reliability, in my opinion, is the foremost one.

Actually, reliability lays foundation for all kinds of relationships, especially friendship. There are many secrets that we never dare to [tell] SHARE anyone, even parents or siblings[.] but we cannot let them prey on our minds for a long time, so we need a trusted friend to WHOM WE CAN UNBURDEN [wear out hearts out, to help us get out of depression] OUR HEARTS AND BRING US OUT OF DEPRESSION. Having a trustworthy friend, we can totally count on her to keep mum. There is no need for us to be afraid of being betrayed or made fun of [with] REGARDING our troubles. A reliable friend not only listens to us with sympathy but also gives us lots of useful advice. Whereas, some people show us what we should do simply with the [view to] INTENTION OF placing us on the wrong track. CONVERSELY, Our dependable friend, [conversely], does only things that make us FEEL better. Even if she is unable to help, she always sticks up for us in the worst conditions, never leaves us alone, not like those who [come to us just the moment we stand in bright light] STAND BESIDE US ONLY WHEN WE ARE IN THE LIMELIGHT.

Second, as long as a person is trustworthy, no matter she has a high IQ and a good sense of humour or not, she is definitely a very good friend. There is a saying that “ A friend is the one who knows you and loves you just the same”. So we should not demand too much for having a good friend. We need to value and treasure [our ] THIS PARTICULAR friendcolor=red even though she is not so [much] VERY intelligentcolor=red or not always humorous. Our trusted friend[, she] may not have an agile mind which is full of great ideas, but she will try her utmost to come up with the best solutions to help us out; she may be not so funny, but she always knows how to make us smile, to calm and comfort us in OUR time of [our] frustration. A reliable friend can brighten up our days as much as any entertainer[s] can do.

In a word, we can completely rely on our trusted friend to share our deepest feelings, to [search for help] ALWAYS LEND A HELPING HAND, and to enjoy happy moments that she brings into our lives. Hence, I consider a reliable friend is my best choice.

Thanks a million for your useful correction. I feel that it is better to write bad essays( as long as they are acceptable :smiley: ) because I always learn a lot from them… Thanks again.

1 Like