singular vs plural in a sentence

I’ve seen this sentence in a book:

If someone is seriously injured, they are lifted into an ambulance on a stretcher.

Is the sentence correct grammatically with the if clause in singular whereas the main clause in plural

Thanks so much

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello:

I am a 77-year-old member, so I understand what you are saying.

According to the old rules, it IS “wrong.”

But during the last 40 years or so, English has been changing.

So “their” is now the gender-neutral pronoun, and it would be – in my humble opinion – a VERY good idea for you to use it.

In fact, if you do not use it, many people will be offended, and that would not be good for your career.

Traditionally – as you correctly implied – we would write:

“If someone is injured, HE IS lifted into an ambulance on a stretcher.”

Then starting in the 1960’s, people started to say:“If someone is injured, she or he is lifted …” / “If someone is injured, s/he is lifted …” / “If someone is injured, one is lifted …”

Most English speakers today have settled on “they” and “their.” (“Everyone must bring their book tomorrow.”)

James

If someone is seriously injured, he is lifted into an ambulance on a stretcher.
In the past or even today, someone will use the sentence above. People criticize them sexist.

To avoid this problem, Some grammarians advice using They/ he or she in the sentence.
If someone is seriously injured, he or she is lifted into an ambulance on a stretcher.
If someone is seriously injured, They are lifted into an ambulance on a stretcher.

To compare this 2 sentences, obviously the latter is less cumbersome. People tend to use it.

That’s what I can tell.

I agree with our talented member, James :slight_smile:

Your explanation was much better – shorter and to the point.

Have a nice day!

James

Hello, James:

Which sentence was (then)/is (nowadays) the most formal?

Thanks.

Can we use in in place of the word in bold? If yes, which one is more correct?

Thanks.

Hello, Foreigner:

I think (think!) that “everyone” would say the one with “one” is the most formal (and unnatural!): One should shine one’s shoes before one leaves one’s home.

“S/he” is really ugly looking, don’t you think!

“She or he” is much too wordy, isn’t it?
(Also, I think that SOME people interpret it as being a little bit sarcastic. Maybe some writers use it but they are thinking: OK, you women. I know that I have to make you happy, so I am including you. Happy now?)

James

Hello, Foreigner:

It’s I again! (“It’s me” in 2014 English.)

[1] I believe that the answer is YES.
[2] I dare not answer that question, BUT I will offer some ideas:

a. Native speakers do not always agree on which word to use.
i. I met my wife in / on an elevator.
(a) Personally, I think that in 2014, “in” seems to be used by most people when discussing an elevator.

b. I went to the “books” section of Google (where thousands of books have been digitalized for us).

i. I typed “in a stretcher” and got 1, 576, 000 results.
ii. I typed “on a stretcher” and got 2,330,000 results.

c. Personally, I am more comfortable with “on a stretcher.” Maybe (maybe!) because a stretcher is a FLAT object?

James

Thank you very much, dear James M!..

It depends on the type of stretcher.

I’d say this person was lying on a stretcher, and would not consider ‘in’ to be correct under any circumstances:

Although I would prefer the term ‘on’ in all instances, if I were to see this person, I would concede that he could equally be said to be lying in a stretcher:

Thank you, Beeesnesss, ever so much!..)

Thank you all of you, especially James