Show me your ride!

Do you have a bike or a car? This is the bike I got as a gift from a friend two days ago. I use it for my daily commute to and from work.

I’ll see if I can get a picture later today. I don’t know if I can get a picture of the bike without moving things.

That looks like an old and heavy bike. I don’t think I’ve seen a bike with a coaster brake in the back and a hand brake in the front - or at least I think that’s a coaster brake I’m seeing. It looks like a two or three speed bike. The combination of coaster brake and 2-3 speed means that hub in the back is very complicated inside.

Was that you asking about the headset? It’s the set of parts just below where the headlight is attached. There are two sets of bearings and races in there that allow you to turn the handlebars and steer.

1 Like

That’s right. I think it’s at least 20 years old, probably even older. It was an official bicycle of a federal agency. My friend works in his spare time as a volunteer a self-help bicycle association, which has received a donation of over 200 bicycles from the city of Hanover and this red beauty was there.

When I was a kid, all our bikes had this combination – coaster and front stamp brake, which had almost no effect :wink:

My friend has installed the 3-speed hub himself. In the original had only one gear.

Yes, now it makes sense.

Here’s my bike. I very rarely ride any more. I’ve had several bikes in my life. I sold the one I had before this one. The one before that got stolen.

I found this one at a garage sale for a very good price. A triathlete used this bike for training, then rode a more professional bike during competition. This bike is not professional grade, but it’s fairly decent. It’s the second best bike I’ve owned. It’s good enough for competition, but not serious competition.

The bike is too big for me. My intention was to see if I got back in the habit of riding. If I got serious again I planned on buying a better quality bike that fit me. I never got serious again though. I used to ride 30-60 km a day but that was long ago.

2 Likes