Shouldn't it be "with regard to" instead of "with regards to"?

Parents who are anxious with regards to the safety of their kids must read this.

Shouldn’t it be “with regard to” instead of “with regards to”?

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, it should be ‘with/ in regard to the safety’. I might add that ‘as regard to’ is also acceptable.

1 Like

Just to clarify.

Should it be “as regards” or “as regards to”?

1 Like

Yes, it is. I said: ‘as regard’ but it should be ‘as regards to’

If you don’t believe me check this: AS REGARDS | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary

2 Likes

To your last question I want to add something else that is correct: I thrive on stress and on people who constantly put me to the test. For some inexplicable reason they make me grow and beautifully blossom in spring, summer, autumn and winter. :grinning:

2 Likes

Just to clarify. Should it be “AS REGARDS” or “AS REGARDS TO”?

Marc, I am not testing you. I am eager to learn.

That’s why I am asking you for clarification.

2 Likes

Happy to hear that. it should be ‘as regards to’. I also provided a link to the Cambridge Dictionary. You simply have to click it and you’ll see.

Have a nice day.

1 Like

Where is the link for me to click?

2 Likes

The following is from the Oxford Dictionary:

Note: No “to” after “as regards”

as regards
concerning; with respect to: as regards content, the program will cover important current issues.

3 Likes

Thank you for checking, because now I’m learning too. You see that’s the purpose of this forum. I’m only human and all humans make mistakes. What would the world be with only perfect human beings, ha ? DULL, DULL, DULL AND BLOODY BORING. I’m sorry, I got a little emotional, but thank you again. I mean that. I would like to add this.

2 Likes

No problem, Marc, for having been emotional.

The purpose of the forum is for discussion and exchange of knowledge. In this way, we are helping one another.

3 Likes

Thanks for understanding. See everybody makes mistakes, isn’t that true @Anglophile

4 Likes

This didn’t sound particularly bad to me, but I understand it’s not correct. The correct phrase “in regard to” is a bit formal - it brings to mind formal business letters.

Personally, particularly in this case, I would say:
“ Parents who are anxious regarding the safety of their kids must read this.”
“ Parents who are anxious about the safety of their kids must read this.”

3 Likes

Thank you, Arinker, I agree, but I only answered Kohyoongliat’s initial question: 'Should it be ‘with regard to’ instead of ‘with regards to’ and by being a little overzealous I made a mistake. However, looking at it on the bright side, my mistake also brought about something very positive, namely the fact that Kohyoongliat has shown us, that he has a rather thorough knowledge of the English language - he’s a little insecure, all of us are - and that people learn from their mistakes, if they’re just willing to. But the most important thing is Kohy’s message:

‘Helping one another’ those are the most important words and a very valuable lesson for all of us. Yes, Kohy, that’s very kind of you and I appreciate it, because by saying so, you acknowledge the fact that everyone can slip up every once in a while.

3 Likes

The two phrases are: with regard to and as regards.
I have also seen in regard to.

2 Likes

Yes, Marc. Nobody is infallible! To err is human!

2 Likes

…and to forgive divine. Wise words coming from a wise man.
I’m very happy Kohyoongliat and I were able to clear the air between us. It shows that he and I share the same philosophy: give people the space to make mistakes, but also the opportunity to remedy or to rectify them, as one does, right? :grinning: The emoji I inserted says: ‘grinning’, however, not from earlobe to earlobe. I’m merely smiling, because I’m happy that neither one of us hurt each other’s feelings and that we both treated each other with respect which is sometimes hard to find nowadays.
I can only be grateful that Kohy and you are both in my life! Thank you, it’s one of the greatest gifts a person could ever be given.

4 Likes