Should there be a comma after "Kelantan"?

I will make sure I return home to my parents’ place in Kampung Gong Pak Damat in Kuala Nerus to celebrate it every Chinese New Year. I also make the trip back to where my mother grew up in Gua Musang, Kelantan every year.

Should there be a comma after “Kelantan”?

Thanks.

1 Like

Definitely after Musang which is situated in Kelantan, a state of Malaysia. A comma after Kelantan is not needed.

Let me give you some other examples: Los Angeles, California - Denver, Colorado. Using a comma here, gives you the opportunity to provide more information about where the place is precisely situated:
Los Angeles is a city in the State of California and Denver is a city and the capital of the State of Colorado.

More examples: Brussels, Belgium - London, England - The Hague, Netherlands, etc.
As you know, Brussels is the capital of Belgium, London that of England and Britain. The Hague is a city in the Netherlands, but it is not its capital, that’s Amsterdam.

Once there was a region, called the Southern Netherlands that consisted of Belgium, the Duchy of Luxemburg or Luxembourg and some areas of the modern Netherlands, France and Germany. From 1556 to 1714 it was also called the Spanish Netherlands or the Catholic Netherlands.

Sorry that I’ve rewritten my explanation, but these things are very obvious to me as you see

1 Like

Kohyoongliat,

I’ve been thinking a long time about this. That’s why I’ve rephrased your sentence twice in order to give you a satisfactory answer. Please, read the following:

• Every year I go to my parents’ place in Kampung Gong Pak Damat, Kuala Nerus to celebrate the Chinese New Year. I also make the trip back to where my mother grew up, in Gua Musang, Kelantan.

In this version a comma is not needed after Kuala Nerus nor after Kelantan, but you do need to insert one after ‘up’ since ‘to grow up’ is a phrasal verb.

• Every year I go to my parents’ place in Kampung Gong Pak Damat, Kuala Nerus to celebrate the Chinese New Year. I also make the trip back to Gua Musang, Kelantan, where my mother grew up.

‘…, where my mother grew up’ is a relative clause, simply adding more context to what you’ve said before. If you leave it out of the sentence, it will lead no reader astray. If you leave it in, you have to insert a comma after Kelantan. Also, if you start your sentence with ‘Every year’, you do not have to repeat it.

Hopefully, I’ll get a little recognition this time for trying to explain this as good as I possibly could. You know, Kohy, it may sound a little exaggerated, but sometimes I sit up nights trying to find the more or less correct answers to someone’s questions. That’s how much devoted I’ve become to this forum - perhaps even addicted to it - and the people who help make it grow. Yes, that sounds poetic and indeed it is. I left a few months ago, vowing I would never return here, yet I came back, because I couldn’t miss a single one of all the wonderful posters, including you! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Many thanks, Masme, for your detailed reply!

1 Like

Thank you, Kohyoongliat. You’re very welcome!

1 Like

Oh and by the way, you may call me Marc.

I will do so.

1 Like