Should college education be free, or should university students be required to pa

Should college education be free, or should university students be required to pay tuition fees?

Should college education be free, or should university students be required to pay tuition fees?
Colleges that charge no tuition fees for education seem like an ideal solution for student. While they do not exist in most parts of the world some European countries still offer free tertiary education. However, in my opinion this model has major disadvantages for students, universities and the public. I would therefore advocate an affordable tuition fee for students.
My main point in arguing against free education is that the general public is made to pay for the costs of higher education. A degree profits an individual during their entire working life through a higher salary. Having people pay for it that choose to not attend university seems unfair. Tax money should be spend in a way that profits the public good, not just individuals.
Free colleges and universities may experience poor funding and funding may be unrelated to the quality and range of the programs offered. With poor funding universities struggle to attract qualifies professors and equip laboratory and so on. In a tuition-free education system there are may be little competition between universities as they do not aim to attract more or better students. Even universities willing to improve and update their programs may not be able to do so.
It can be argued that students profit most from not having to pay tuition. This view can be shortsighted as a free college has little motivation to improve the quality of it’s offerings. Also, students have little influence when complaining about poor quality or outdated education and equipment. Colleges have no motivation to listen to their complaints as students leaving does not affect their financial situation. Additionally, it is human nature to value free resources lees and not treat them with great care. In a free education system have little pressure and sometimes little support from the college to finish their education in a timely manner. Consequently, some students spend years in college.

In conclusion, for all these reasons I believe paying tuition for higher education is a better and more just solution than the public paying for universities. On top of being a fair system, it is most likely to improve the quality of education offerings in the long run.

TOEFL listening lectures: What is the main danger of obesity?

Hi Katniss, I really liked this essay immensely. You have some extremely good arguments that are cogently stated with great examples and development. You have a few minor errors, but they do not interfere with your clarity at all, so I would rate this essay a 5 out of 5.
Edited - now I remember that you are taking the IELTS. I guess it would score a band 8 - I don’t know if they even give out any 9’s :wink: