Should children begin formal education at an early age?

QUESTION: Some people think that children should begin their formal education at a very early age and should spend most of their time on school studies. Others believe that young children should spend most of their time playing. Compare these two views. Which view do you agree with? Why?

Childhood is an important stage of everyone’s life and has a profound influence on their future life. Personality traits of a child develop mostly at an early age. So, the kind of activities in which a child is involved affects his/her character and determines the future path of their life. The question is whether children should spend most of their time on school studies or playing. From my point of view, a child should spend most of his/her time playing. I will give my reasons in the following essay.
First, children will have enough time to study in the future while childhood never comes back. When people look back on the past years they like to remember a lot of sweet childhood memories. Needless to say, sweet moments don’t occur at studying time but at playing time with peers. For example, I remember myself as a child who liked playing with his friends with a plastic ball in alleys. We played hours in alleys and never got tired. I didn’t like to stay at home and study all day. However, when I got older I understood the importance of education and allotted more time to study and became a diligent student whereas you can’t expect a child to perceive the significance of education. Therefore, we should allow children enjoy their childhoods and study when they get older.
Secondly, studying is not the only way towards success. Some students simply don’t have an aptitude for subjects that are taught in schools or some of them can’t adapt with formal education while they are brilliant in other fields such as sports, business, music or other kinds of art. For instance, I have a nephew who was not a keen pupil at school and he always got poor grades. One day, I brought him to a music concert, he got interested in playing DAF – that is a traditional Iranian instrumental music – and his father sent him to a music class. Now, he is 25 and is one of the best DAF players across the country (Iran). He sat up his own music institute a few years ago. He has got too many pupils so that he depends on teaching music for his livelihood. Thus, we shouldn’t force children to spend most of their time on school studies if they are talented in other fields.
In sum, I believe that we should let children enjoy their childhood playing with their friends. By doing so, they will have good memories when they are adults and they may show talent in other fields. If I were a father, I would definitely allow my children play outdoors with their peers and grow up with happiness. Permit your children play and enjoy, they will have enough time to study in the future.

2 Likes

Hi Ahmad, welcome to the forum. I think you are quite an essay writer and your English is outstanding. Your essay was very clear to me and it had an effective format. I really liked your specific and detailed examples that you did a good job tying back to your thesis. I think your first body paragraph got off the rails a little bit toward the end. Plus you could have focused a little more on the advantages of having a happy childhood, besides just fond memories.
I think children who are allowed independent play will be better adjusted socially as they grow older, will have fewer psychological problems and “hang-ups”, and will be more creative, as they have had the opportunity to generate solutions and use their imagination all on their own.Here are some specific suggestions:

2 Likes

Hi Luschen,
Thank you so much,
I really appreciate the time you spent to read and correct the essay.

1 Like