shined / shone

1a. The light shined all throughout the night.
1b. The light shone all throughout the night
1c. The light was on all throughout the night.
2a. Please shine the flashlight over here.
2b. Please light the flashlight over here.
3a. The moon/stars shined brightly.
3b. The moon/stars shone brightly.
4a. The sun shone all day long.
4b. The sun shined all day long.
5a. The boy needed hospital treatment after a laser pen was shined in his eyes.
5b. The boy needed hospital treatment after a laser pen was shone in his eyes.
Please correct all.
Thanks.

1a. The light shined all throughout the night.
1b. The light shone all throughout the night
1c. The light was on all throughout the night.
2a. Please shine the flashlight over here.
2b. Please direct the flashlight over here.
3a. The moon/stars shined brightly.
3b. The moon/stars shone brightly.
4a. The sun shone all day long.
4b. The sun shined all day long.
5a. The boy needed hospital treatment after a laser pen was shined in his eyes.
5b. The boy needed hospital treatment after a laser pen was shone in his eyes.
Please correct all.

To add my two cents: The verb ‘shine’ is both transitive and intransitive.
The sun shines during the day. (shines=becomes bright; shine-shone-shone)> Intransitive.
He shines his shoes every day. (shines=makes bright; shine-shined-shined)> Transitive.

Beeesneees/Anglophile,
I want to know the use of past tense ‘shined’ and shone’?
Where should we use ‘shined’ and ‘shone’?
Please explain the nuance of grammar for ‘shine’?
Thanks.

Traditional sources recommend using shined when the verb has an object and shone when it does not:
The young man shined his car’s headlights until they gleamed. (object)
The light shone brightly. (no object)

In addition ‘shined’ is only acceptable as the past tense when you mean “polished”.
He shined his shoes.
not
The sun shined.

So…
The sun shone brightly while I shined my shoes.

The young man shined his car’s headlights until they gleamed. (object) > TRANSITIVE.
The light shone brightly. (no object) > INTRANSITIVE.

… and yet you accuse me of commenting needlessly.

I only related your ‘object’ to ‘transitive’ and your ‘no object’ to ‘intransitive’ to make what I said clearer. If you had said ‘transitive’ meant ‘object’ and ‘intransitive’ meant ‘no object’ (as supplementary to my explanation), I would certainly have appreciated it.

You had already spoken about ‘transitive’ and ‘intransitive’.
I’m sure if I;d repeated that information I’d have been accused of commenting needlessly, even though Allifathima requested clarification.

No. If you are not prejudiced, you can review earlier cases. I do not add to your comments unless there is a need to supplement/substantiate them. Nevertheless, I am not inclined to say: ‘Take your blinkers off’!

That would be because I treat each instance on its own merit and don’t wear blinkers. You are far more abusive towards me than that,
I am not prejudiced, unfortunately it seems you are, because it is obvious from your various accusations that you don’t “review earlier cases”.
I do not add to YOUR comments unless I feel there is a need either… unfortunately you take umbrage when I do that.

It’s worth mentioning that ‘shone’ can also be used transitively. With or without blinkers’!

It’s a good way to digress. The information is new for me. Could you exemplify it? Really, I ask you without blinkers.

I shone my headlights at the strange object lying in the road. The police shone a bright light in the face of the burglar.

Thank you Alan. A look at the word in my dictionary says that ‘shine’ can also mean ‘give out light’ which sounds like transitive. By the way, does that mean that we can say ‘shine your torch’, ‘shine some light’ etc as well?