Sentence: the car accident and the damage resulted in...

Hi there,

I got a question about the usage of ‘that’.

To tell you the truth, the car accident and the damage ______ resulted in
frightening me so much that I almost gave up driving ever since.
A. that B. it C. / D. what

I chose C. But the correct answer is A. Could you explain to me why A is right.

the damage that resulted after the accident

This a a case of relative pronoun . you can find it in a lot of grammar books

Thank your Dieter Radke and Vangiang. The sentence looks a bit odd to me after ‘that’ was added–To tell you the truth, the car accident and the damage that resulted in frightening me so much that I almost gave up driving ever since. But I don’t konw where is wrong.

Hi infin1ty !

In this situation , we should also pay attention to participle adjective ( you can also consult it in any grammar book )

We can say “To tell you the truth , the car accident and the damage that resulted in frightening me so much that I almost gave up driving ever since” , or “To tell you the truth , the car accident and the damage resulting in frightening me so much that I almost gave up driving ever since” instead

If you say “To tell you the truth , the car accident and the damage resulted in frightening me so much that I almost gave up driving ever since” , it will have a different meaning . “the damage” in this sentence is passive

Hi ^^vangiang^^,

Thanks alot for your explanation on that. I really appreciate it. But I must disagree with you on this point–‘the damage in this sentence is passive’. In fact,
I consider it as simple pass rather than passive. : ) Moreover, I doubt any native speaker will say something like this: ‘To tell you the truth, the car accident and the damage that resulted in frightening me so much that I almost gave up driving ever since. But I don’t konw where is wrong.’ This test was wrote by Chinese.

Hi !!!
I need to say sorry first , for my carelessness , not reading the sentence thoroughly .
I think it over now and see that you are right . we should just use a relative pronoun to give more information about someone or something and this case is not like that .
So sorry for my mistake and I hope this didn’t make you too confused .
The sentence that I made is wrong because the clause " that resulted in frightening me so much " has role to give more information for “the car and the damage” , not the main idea that the speaker need to tell about. And therefore , we need to give the main idea such as “made me give up driving” .
To say again , I think you are right to choose C for your answer

Thank you, Vangiang.

Hi Infin1ty

I agree with you: There should be nothing at all added to the sentence (option C).

If you inserted “that” into the blank, you would end up with an incomplete sentence. So option A is not correct.

Take care,
Amy

[size=84][color=darkblue]ESL teacher, translator, native speaker of American English and author of more than 8000 posts on this site. [/size]