Sentence correction: what will be the correct answer?

unless every member can attend, the director will cancel the meeting.

The director will hold the meeting…
A. considering that
B. regardless
C. untill
D. even if

Hi Tweety

Haven’t you forgotten the end of the second sentence? :wink:

I predict that “A. considering that” will be the correct answer.

Can you tell us the end of the sentence?

Amy

hi Amy,
this was the rewriting sentence question by chosing one of the best option

[b]1. Unless every member can attend, the director will cancel the meeting.

1. The director will hold the meeting considering that …
    [/b]
    Hi Tweety

I assume both sentences should have similar meanings, but sentence 2 isn’t finished yet.

Can you finish it?

Amy

I think option C is also correct if we keep the terms given in the first sentence:

The director will hold the meeting until every member can attend.

Hi Conchita

To be honest, I didn’t particularly like this “rewrite the sentence” example that poor Tweety posted. None of the options seemed terribly good to me.

Using “considering that” seemed to be the best of the given possibilities and would keep the meaning as close as possible to the original sentence:
The director will hold the meeting considering that every member can attend.

I rejected “until” because “will hold the meeting” means “the meeting will take place”. So that didn’t make much sense. It could take days before some of the members can find the time to attend and that would result in a mighty long meeting. :lol:

If the writer of this example intended to use the word “hold” to mean “delay” or “postpone”, then the word “hold” was incorrectly used in the context. “Hold a meeting” is a standard collocation that means “conduct a meeting”.

However, if the sentence had used “hold off”, then I’d have been happy as a clam in mud at high tide:
The director will hold off the meeting until every member can attend.

Maybe Tweety just forgot to type a word. What a difference one word can make. :lol:

Amy

In the context given, I understood the term hold the meeting as delay it/put it off. That’s why the sentence ‘The director will hold the meeting until every member can attend’ seemed to make sense. As you say, though, hold a meeting normally means to make it take place.

Also, The director will hold the meeting considering that every member can attend has a different meaning from that of the given sentence.

:lol: I like this one!